Exhaust Leak -- Heat Riser Shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I just found the source of my exhaust leak. The heat riser shaft has come loose and worked it self out the front.

I know that I have lost the rear bushing, is there a nut the holds the shaft in place?

Can the heat riser valve fall into the exhaust pipe?

What are my options to repair this problem?

Will I have to pull the exhaust manifold or can I pull the exhaust pipe off and get to it.

Any help is appreciated.

Greg

You probably wont be able to get at it with the exhaust pipe off, but you also shouldn't worry too much about it. I don't think it can come out since the flapper is screwed tight into the shaft and you cant remove the shaft with the flapper in place. According to every manual I've read, to repair the riser is to replace the manifold. My rigged mine into the open position since my coil stopped reacting to heat and opening the flapper. I dont know if this helps, but I wouldnt worry too much about it. If you decide you really want to fix it and pull the manifolds off, try and find a good pair of manifolds in case you cant fix yours. You don't want to be taking them off more than you have to since it is a PIA.

Thanks chitown

I'm not sure if my flapper is still connected, the shaft worked itself out about 4 inches I pushed it all the way back in but the rubber bushing thingy won't go back in it's hole therefore I have a popping exhaust leak. Is it possible to come out that far with the flapper still connected? I really can't tell by looking a the diagram I have.

The flapper is screwed onto the shaft by two screws that I couldn't even budge on either of my two manifolds, so I gotta say "no" you're probably not 'disconnected'. I posted a reply to the other thread you posted on regarding how I rigged mine open all the time. Check it out...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=40847

Good luck,

Rob

manifold will have to come off to fix it, all the parts can be bouight from toyota or you can buy a new manifold pair and it comes with all the stuff.........which is what I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom