Exhaust Leak cause high fuel trim? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone seen an exhaust leak on these trucks be significant enough so that the O2 sensors tell the ECU it needs +20% long term fuel trim?

I have an exhaust leak that I can hear when inside the vehicle but I don't know if it is really impacting performance. I was half expecting to find the exhaust manifold cracked in half when removing the heat shields. However, I don't see any holes or cracks from the manifold to the muffler. That said, the exterior surface of the parts/pieces look pretty rough.

I've already been through looking for intake leaks (none found) and replaced the vacuum lines, PCV valve, intake manifold gasket, air filter hose, etc... I haven't dived into the fuel system, pressure check, or changed the fuel filter yet.

find where the exhaust leak/s are at and if they are before the o2 sensors then it will affect the fuel trim.

Thank guys. Yeah, I was hoping it must be a very large exhaust leak to cause this and be worth opening up this can of worms. I think I will put a shop vac exhaust on it and walk around with a soapy spray bottle. I have not been able to find it by looking at it or listening. Hopefully it's small and I can leave it alone and find the real problem.

Yeah, the intake hose was very stiff and I replaced it. I replaced the brake booster hose but will need to figure out how to check if the unit itself is leaking.

Injectors may be original - 90K miles, 1995.

The PO replaced the charcoal canister but I think those hoses appear to be original. I need to look into the purge valve you're talking about. I recall seeing what I thought was some kind of check valve but I didn't try to figure out if it was working or not. I honestly forgot I didn't give this area any attention mostly because that canister was recently replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom