1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust/Intake REAL operating Temps? (Long)

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Coolerman, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm dabbling in the powder coating world during my build and wanted to do my intake after media blasting it. Then I thought, crap, darn thing probably gets almost as hot as the exhaust seeing as the are right next to one another so I'll need to use a high temp powder. I found the color I wanted but it was only good to 1000 degrees. I searched and the only reference to exhaust temps that high were in relation to a turbo diesel. Hmmm so how hot do they get? Well, since no one seemed to know, I, being a gadget freak, bought a tool I could REALLY use! I got a Craftsman Infrared temp hand held temp gun ;)

At our club meeting Sunday I measured a 2F engine with headers.

I measured at two places, one right where they exit the head and another about 8 inches down. They were within 20 degrees of each other so I 'm only going to post the head readings. These were at idle after a 5 minute warm up on an already warm engine.

Cylinder 1: 480
    Cylinder 2: 580
    Cylinder 3: 563
    Cylinder 4: 612
    Cylinder 5: 735
    Cylinder 6: 605

The highest reading I ever got was 800 degrees measured on cylinder 5 with RPM held at 1500 for about 20 seconds. So has anyone else measured a temp on an exhaust manifold or header higher than 1000?

Note: The fan was cooling down the headers quite well as can be seen be the low reading on one.

2. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Aluminum melts at about 1200*F and I imagine that getting anywhere near that an aluminum manifold would begin to warp. I think a coating that can withstand 1000* would be OK. Remember the intake is being cooled internally also.
    The only factor affecting the coating might be radiant heat from either headers or the exhaust manifold.
    Hell, try it!;)

3. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Well the oven is heating as we speak! :cool: I'm doing a set of headers for a friends truck (302 shortys) to see how the color looks before doing the intake!

Also trying to learn to shoot candy colors. Driving me nuts trying to figure out how a color will look when cured on MY junk, not some kids Honda....:rolleyes:

I'll post some pics later tonight of my attempts, maybe somebody will learn from my mistakes...:grinpimp:

4. my64fj40

my64fj40

Don't know about powdercoating headers..

Probably won't last long

My buddy powdercoats SBC intakes all the time, no problem there. But with an exhaust manifold right next to it like the 2fs, it may not actually melt off, but could get discolored.

5. igotta40

igotta40

Hey Coolerman, how much does that powder cost and where do you buy it?

6. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    www.roseyspowdercoating.com I found them on E-Bay where they have a web store. The powders range from 12.99 a pound to 19.50 a pound for the header coat. They have a large selection of colors and textures available. Pics of tonights work coming in a few...

7. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    K here are some pics of my experiments with the candy colors. Wife was kind enough to donate some kitchen utensils that needed a face lift! ;) Plus I found one of dads old brick chisels that needed some color... Believe it or not that is the exact same powder on the chisel and the cork puller. Cork puller was already chromed and the chisel was sand blasted.
    WifeDonation.jpg Chisel.jpg

8. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Here are some parts done in a powder called extreme chrome. (The red part is a 1/4" extension done in candy red)
    XtremeChrome.jpg

9. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Next up experimentation trying to come up with a chromate looking powder by mixing red, gold, and green powders. Not real successful....
    ChromateTrials.jpg

10. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Last here is the intake done in high temp silver. Don't much care for this color so may do it over in xtreme chrome.
    intake.jpg