exhaust in cab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.
I have an 84 fj60 and I recently put in a rebuilt motor and desmogged. My problem is when ever I drive I get a lot of exhaust in the cab of the truck. I have replaced every gasket in the exhaust system and can not figure out where it is coming from. I did notice when I bought the rebuilt motor I transported it in the back of my cruiser. Unfortunately when I put it in the back I dented the tail gate. At first I thought that was where the exhaust was coming in from. So i bonded the dent up and put in some weather striping to seal it up. But the smell is still there. I have also checked all the door gaskets to make sure they are still sealing (they are) I am not sure where else to look at this point. Any Ideas????

THanks again
Tim:confused:

i'd double check the rear gate's weatherstrip is sealing. I've heard of people replacing to seal it better. Typically due to exhaust coming back into cab. Even some duct tape to quickly seal and test might be worth the mess to make sure this is the issue.

How bad is it? not gas smell right?

rob

re-read your post. sorry. Rust in rear quarters - any holes? that goes right inside to the cargo panels. if those don't seal well - could come in there too.

it doesn't take much of a pinhole - depending on the condition of your exhaust pipes - any rust or spots you might suspect? i'd also check the tranny hump to make sure sealed as well as possible.

GL!
rob

I suspect you still have an exhaust leak.... does your exhaust pipe clear the side of the truck or not?

Thanks everyone.
Stuff I have done recently:
Added weather stripping to tail gate area and rerouted exhaust off to driver side.
I will definitely check the rust spots in the panels and the tranny hump.
thanks a ton for the ideas, I was getting frustrated and hit a wall in looking for place to look!

Do you guys think it is better to have the exhaust come out the back or the side??

thanks

with stock I-6 I had the exhaust set to exit behind the rear tire, to keep from damaging it by pinching it against the rear bumper. So I vote for the side, clearing the body of the vehicle.

I have the same issue with mine and only in stop and go obviously.
We put the FJ on the lift and the exhaust is in great shape,
I was tempted to change the direction from rear exit to side exit and do a salami cut on the tip.
Then I thought about the rear vent..

Seems like exhaust will just continue to creep in, will take some thought unless someone has more suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom