Exhaust Hanger / Supports Replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gray Rider

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an irritating rattle from the exhaust hangers when accelerating from a stop until about 20 mph.

Should I replace the hangers or endure it until time to replace the entire exhaust? Opinions?

I had the same problem and went to a local exhaust repair shop and for 20 bucks they replaced the hanger. It's a beautifully welded onto the pipe and then bolted onto the body with rubber grommets and everything. Actually I had them do three different hangers, and now my exhaust is excellent ; and I'm out 60 bucks....totally worth it!

Is it the exhaust hangers or the mounts? The hangers on the OEM exhaust are very burly. The rubber mounts on the other hand do tend to succumb to age and...rocks. Replacement non-oem mounts can be had fairly cheap. I'd check and if those are shot, just replace the mounts. a few bucks for some sanity till you replace the whole exhaust. I *think* this is the part I used: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00180J90I/?tag=ihco-20

If you wheel it, you'll go thru a bunch of them. More secure mounts are advisable.

Have new nuts on hand before you start. The old ones will not be reusable. The bracket which sits below the rubber mount is itself removable, so you don't have to move or remove the exhaust to replace the cushion/hanger. You'll need just a ten and twelve mm socket/wrench. Ten minutes and you're done.

I rechecked the location of the noise with the truck tires chocked, in drive, with safety person in truck with foot on brake. When the truck is rev'd slightly it sounds like the rattle is actually from the muffler and not the clamps/supports/hangers. I think this is the original muffler/exhaust system with 290,000 miles so its overdue to replace anyway....

I took the truck in to local muffler shop. Noise is coming from the actual muffler. The shop cant get replacement, but will install OEM muffler if i bring to them for 100 bucks. OEM muffler is $471. All other pipes/brackets/hangers appear good.

Should I look for aftermarket muffler?

Find another muffler shop that can do some fabrication and fit a generic off the shelf muffler at a much cheaper cost.

Check the oem heat shields on the header.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom