exhaust gasket and bolt size question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mysteriously my exhaust came apart while getting a remote start and alarm installed. I have my suspicions as to what happened - but doesn't fix my problem. Does anyone know the size bolt that is missing in the picture? Also, is that the gasket that is required or is there a bigger gasket? I've looked online and found some pictures which makes me ask the question...
photo(31).jpg

Coincidence...maybe but you can fix it pretty quick and inexpensively.

You should be able to find the gasket at your local auto parts supplier. As far as the nuts & bolts unless you're a Toyota purist just find the appropriately sized grade 5 or metric hardware, liberally apply anti-seize and assemble.

I would use something in SAE size/thread, either 3/8" or 7/16", probably about 2" long. I've found that anti-seize bakes off and doesn't help in this application. I use stainless bolts & nuts, with sacrificial steel flat washers against the flange so the dis-similar metals don't corrode the flange. When you need to take it off later, put the biggest wrenches you can on them and give them a healthy tug, the soft stainless hardware snaps in half and everything comes right apart.

the gasket is still there , thats all there is just a round metal and white heat resistant material washer looking thing , you can pull it off and match it up or just have them order you one . As for the bolts like said above just get some SS bolts and washers .
If that was on the east coast that would have never happened as the bolts are just lumpy rusted blobs , that look like booger welds after all these years ;)

I would be all WTF? when I picked up the truck as it wasnt like that when you dropped it off .

Oh trust me.. I let them know how dissapionted I was in a not so gentlemanly way. After thinking about it awhile it's quite possible the mufflershop forgot to put the bolts back in when installing my . Anyway, I got 2 bolts, 4 washers and 2 nuts from napa (they didn't even charge me!) and had to wait 20 minutes for the exhaust to cool down. Problem solved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom