Exhaust fumes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,
I recently purchased my first Landcruiser.........on Ebay. Yea, that was probably my first mistake. An 85'FJ60 w/164,000 miles. I have loved both the 40's and 60's for a long time and finally was able to get one.
I am a definite newbie to Land Cruisers and need some guidance. First, the exhaust fumes seem strong. My wife tells me I smell like an exhaust pipe when I come home. It is a little noticeable in the cabin when idling at a stop light. It doesn't seem to smoke badly though. I took it to a mechanic on something unrelated and they said that the compression is low. I am praying the rings aren't bad but suspect the valves. Would this cause the strong smell??
Also, I am leaking oil from both front wheels. It is coming from the front felt seal and running onto the tires and floor. How difficult of a fix is this??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

How much rust is in this body? If your exhaust system is leaking anywhere under the vehicle, it can make its way into the cabin.

The oil leaking in the front is a inner axle seal, that has failed and is allowing gear oil to mix with the Moly grease that should be in the knuckle. It is probably time for a front end ectomy, and would be a safe bet that one has not ever been done.(knuckle re-build). It is a fairly involved undertaking, but can be done. If you do not have them already, I would get the Toyota factory service manuals for this truck.

Good luck!

-Steve

The body is virtually rust free. I don't know about the exhaust system though. Will definitely check.
I only have a Haynes manual but will take your advice and get a factory service manual.
thanks for the response

Yah, you have some work ahead of you. A wet/dry compression test will help with your low compression questions. You probably have an exhaust leak if you are getting fumes in the cabin, somewhere from the head back to the muffler. Then, as Steve says, you probably have a rust hole into the cabin. But, maybe it is just a vent open.

Definitely invest in the Factory Service Manuals. You will be way ahead dollars and knowledge-wise.

Take it to a muffler shop that does free estimates. They will test your system and let you know for free if you have an exhaust leak.

May also want to take a look at your carb. I was having the same problem with driving my 40 and coming home stinking of exhaust big time. Sent my carb. off to be rebuilt, put it back on last night and drove it today for the first time without smelling like an exhaust pipe. It needed a rebuild badly, as I was also geting about 4-5 miles to the gallon in a stock 2F. BTW, the guys on this board are great about helping with problems that crop up. They've been very helpful any time I've ever had a question or problem. I got my first FJ40 a year ago, so I'm a newbie as well. Welcome!! :D

Did you consider revuilding it yourself? I remember doing one about 20 years ago on a Ford, and it didn't seem that hard. But thats an old guy remembering what a young guy did.

Considered it, but see your other post for details. I'm very limited on time and don't have the skill set at the moment to attempt a totally f**ked up carb. It's important for a man to know his limitations.....and I did! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom