Exhaust down pipe - recs requested (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to my '85 FJ60. I am carrying on the struggle to pass Colorado emissions. BZ has rebuilt my air pump. I am replacing all the vacuum tubing. I am cleaning and testing the various components per the emissions manual. In addition to summer gas mix and some E-85 to help, seems the best next step is to use ABV to route air from the pump into the exhaust down pipe. Unfortunately PO removed stock exhaust downpipe so I have no ability to connect air pump output to the exhaust down pipe. On Ebay I located an OEM exhaust down pipe being sold by BTB products (ebay tag is landcruiserparts) out of Henderson, NV. Does anyone on MUD have experience with them? Positive or Negative - please let me know. Or do you have other sources you would recommend for this exhaust down pipe? Thanks.

If your air injection manifold and nozzles haven't rusted to smithereens and the check valve that screws into it's inlet works, a better mixing of air (oxygen) will occur if the air pump is allowed to pump air through the air injection manifold - not diverted to the exhaust pipe. At the RPMs (lugging) and speeds the smog test uses, air doesn't normally divert to the exhaust pipe anyway.

Thanks for the response. I am in the process of checking the air injection manifold. I have loosened 4 (or 5 - I cannot remember which at this point) of the 6. The air injection port to the rear of the engine is difficult to get to. There clearly has been some "repair" welding just after the check valve- where the tube from the check valve connects to the main tube. As far as diverting the flow to the exhaust pipe I was going to try the "BB in the vacuum tube line and the not visible to the technician cut in the vacuum tube line to the top port on the ABV" trick in place of relying on the original logic. I will try to continue down both paths.

It's very risky trying to unscrew the air injection manifold nuts. They can rust to the pipe and when you finally break them free, the nut will twist off the air pipe too that inserts into the nozzle.
The AI manifold never gets plugged up. There's no reason to remove it. And even if one nozzle got plugged, it won't affect the smog test. I had twisted off my rear pipe long long ago (trying to unscrew the nut) and the engine still passed smog tests for decades later. It didn't matter at all having only 5 injection nozzles working.

Thanks - good to know.

BTB (aka Man-a-Fre) is very reputable and has been in business a looooong time. No worries buying from them.

However, you've got a couple of used Land Cruiser parts lots in CO. Maybe there's one near you?

BTB (aka Man-a-Fre) is very reputable and has been in business a looooong time. No worries buying from them.

However, you've got a couple of used Land Cruiser parts lots in CO. Maybe there's one near you?

Thank you!

I purchased a BTB/ManAfre downpipe as mine was rotten with a leak under the upper flange - probably could have welded.
PO had chopped off lower flange to fit to CAT. Now need to figure out how to deal with that. OTRAMM is selling laser cut flanges which might fit (WELD) to aftermarket CAT.

The BTB/ManAFre downpipe was sandblasted, painted and checked an it looks quite nice.

Anyone has a source or recommendation for a high temperature hose for #44
1620446544206.png

@castropl - where in CO are you? I am in Denver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom