Exhaust camshaft gear and reassembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have taken the head and camms out of my 95 for a new HG and reading ahead for the reassembly. I put a service bolt in the threaded hole on the exhaust cam as the FSM states when I took it apart, however I don't think that it really was necessary. I seems to keep the 2 halves of the gear together when it is not mated to the intake cam. How canthe outer half change gear position when they are mated? What is it's purpose? and can I put it back together ( the 2 cams) and keep the timing mark. this whole thing seems way to complicated for something so simple. Or am i just overlooking the very simple and obvious? I have read the FSM a couple times and the whole step seems totally unneccessary. Help I am very confused.

The two sections of the split gear is spring loaded, If indead you put the service bolt in before you removed the cam, just follow the directions in the book. If you installed the service bolt in the cam after you removed the cam from the head you have a problem. The spring loaded cam gear helps to keep tension on the two cams to cut down on gear noise and to keep the timing between the two gears more exect(also if this is screw up it could wear some of the cam holders in the head). The steps are necessary. So my question is when did you install the service bolt, before or after you removed the cam from the head? later robbie

Before I removed the cam

I installed the service bolt before I removed the cam bearings, and the cam itself, so I guess I just need to reinstall the cams, timed correctly of corse, and then remove the service bolt? The stupid FSM makes you dissasemble the cam gear and I don't want to do it if it will make me mess up. Just one not neccessary step I guess.... Thanks robbie

Yea I would not disamemble the cam gear unless you need to. It was good to follow the directions in putting the bolt in before you remove the gear. So jsut follow the book on assembly. later robbie

Thanks robbie!

I will be putting the cam back in tomorrow once off work today ( 24 hr shift), yeah it just didn't seem right to take it apart and then just put it back together. Thank You for the pat on the back!...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom