Exhaust brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pacbrake, tecbrake, jakebrake. they don't make them for toyota specific aps, but they can be modified

how this function .. I never well underestand it .. :frown:

An Exhaust Brake works in a simple way, it basically is only a flap mechanism, installed in your exhaust system after the manifold, that depending on what you use to control it closes a bit to restrict air flow. This builds up back pressure which "fights" with your compression (not to be used during acceleration) and slow down the rotation of your engine. Very effective, if you have a good engine it will not damage anything, older units with a lot of kilometers might have issues.
A true Jake Brake set up is different since it plays with the timing and fuel delivery, depending on the models. Some of them cut fuel to several cylinders (that's why the semis are so loud when they use them) and causes the engine to slow down. Others change the timing - these I am not familiar with.
I know some guys that have exhaust brake set ups on their Dodge trucks and it works great, they save your brakes, great for downhill with a trailer.

i liked that other system which used pressure from the PS pump . Im not sure how it worked but someone said the 100 series also uses a similar method

g'day mate i read your description of a jake brake etc and i think you will find that they work by using a engine oil pressure to activate a slave cylinder which opens the exhaust valves thereby stopping the compression cycle and turning the engine into a big air compressor which provides the engine braking effect.the only exhaust brake that i know of that could be used on a cruiser is the flap type previously mentioned but i can't say i've seen one on a cruiser yet though flap type off a small truck would work if it was a similiar size exhaust pipe

I've got an exhaust brake made by BD on my Ford Powerstroke van. I love it! It is nothing more than a butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe past the turbo that serves to restrict the exhaust and create backpressure to allow more engine braking during deceleration. The brake controller only activates the brake when you take your foot off the accelerator and rpm are above idle, in other words, when you are trying to slow down. It is really only effective with manual transmissions or automatics with lockup torque converters.

The one on the van is activated by a pneumatic cylinder with air pressure from an on-board compressor. The one on one of my Isuzu NPR trucks is also activated by a pneumatic cylinder but powered by vacuum.

The brake is particularly useful when decending a long grade while hauling a heavy load. Besides, it sounds cool!

Pressure from the PS pump? I've never even heard of that one, but am interested. You guys have all the coolest stuff in Australia.
Ive sen the guys on MUD 40 and Pirate discussing it.

Someone says the 100 series including the US model already has it.
Must be why the master cyl for a 100 series costs about a $1000+

Ive sen the guys on MUD 40 and Pirate discussing it.

Someone says the 100 series including the US model already has it.
Must be why the master cyl for a 100 series costs about a $1000+

Here 3000 + ! :eek:

And is nothing more than a electric vac pump ..

P.S. thanks for explanation Phantom ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom