Excited New FZJ80 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

I recently brought my first Land Cruiser home. I've owned two Toyota pickups, a Tacoma, a 4Runner, and still own a Camry and a Dolphin, but this is my first Land Cruiser. I spied this one on Craigslist, located in Lincoln, NE. I currently live in California, but I went to college in Nebraska, so for some strange reason I occasionally check the Craigslist there. I have a few friends in Lincoln who were instrumental in making the purchase. One is a retired Toyota Technician who checked the vehicle out, and the other two are just good people who bought and stored it at there house for me for a few weeks. I convinced my girlfriend to go pick it up with me. Surprisingly, she agreed to go, even after I told her the AC doesn't work on it! We broke up the drive into three days with only the final day from Las Vegas to Fresno being a real endurance test (on us, not the Cruiser). It had just under 195,000 miles when I first sat in it in Lincoln. It has front and rear lockers, a smashed in front bumper, broken condenser, and a concerning ticking noise coming from the engine when idling and accelerating, but I don't hear it when cruising on the highway (maybe wind and road noise is covering it?). It is awesome! It is on stock suspension with around 33's on it. I have heard about the fuel economy of these rigs, or lack of, so I was really pleased when my average fuel economy for the trip was 15.1 mpg with a low of 14.0 and a high of 16.7! This was at interstate speeds. Clean title. I have already had it smogged and got it registered in California, which is a big relief.
I'm really excited to bring my Cruiser back to order. Based on the maintenance records I received it was well cared for up to 156k miles in the year 2017, and for the last 40k miles and 4 years received the bare minimum of care (oil changes). So there are plenty of things to repair.
I'm debated doing a mild build or replacing the bumper with a used original one and keeping it all stock.
Based on the information I've provided and the few pictures, what do you all think a fair price for it is? I think I got a great deal, but maybe I just convinced myself of that because I drove it across the desert in the summer with no air conditioning! Honestly just bringing the thing home was worth buying it. It was an adventure that involved planes, trains, ebikes and a city bus.
IMG_20210705_141409693.jpg

IMG_20210704_153126287_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210707_142702721.jpg
IMG_20210707_142716613.jpg
IMG_20210706_083520697.jpg

It's the right colour! :smokin: I have the front bumper you need, with tips.
Long way to ship it though.
Welcome to MUD! :flipoff2:

Welcome.
I live 1 hour SW of you...
195K is low mileage nowadays ha ha.
May the adventures begin!
There are good trails 1 hour NE of Fresno call Bald Mountain, Strawberry, Mirror, Red, Coyote, Swamp lakes & many other

Welcome! and congrats to what appears to be a great start on good rubbers no less.
Since it has lockers, I recommend no mods yet. Drive it offroad several times to get a bead on the condition of the locker actuators, tranny, and engine performance. Prepare to be amazed at its stock capability.
Determine if there's any factory stuff needing attention - bushings, bearings, brakes, etc.
Get a baseline mpg for on and off road. For dirt roads and somewhat technical off road driving. The values will be different for each scenario.
Then consider baselining as your first mechanical foray into 'Cruiser Life'. You'll learn a lot and be better able to decide what mods you really need/want after.
Happy Trails! 👍

Welcome! Nice 80!! Body looks good and so does the seats / interior. Win Win!

Get a good baseline on it, drive it for a while and get use to it. Spend some time on here and you'll figure out which direction you want to go.

Throw on a replacement bumper, fix the AC and sell it for $35,000.

I convinced my girlfriend to go pick it up with me. Surprisingly, she agreed to go, even after I told her the AC doesn't work on it! We broke up the drive into three days with only...
I must admit, at first I read that as "we broke up only three days into the drive"! :D

Looks like a nice clean rig. Bumper and AC should be fairly easily sorted. Hope you have a lot of fun with it!

From CA, bought it in NE, CO plates.

What's up there?

Hey Everyone,

Based on the information I've provided and the few pictures, what do you all think a fair price for it is?

Whats the condition of the under-carriage? Rusty? And driver seat leather? Is it pretty torn up?

Good price or bad, with a landcruiser love affair the purchase price ends up only being the "down payment" 😝

Keep the front bumper for that MPG's!!! Good rig right there enjoy it!!

Good price or bad, with a landcruiser love affair the purchase price ends up only being the "down payment" 😝
I can certainly see that being the case. Lots of expensive upgrades available. As may others have suggested, I'm eager to enjoy it as is.

Same 🤣 "we broke up [in] the drive[way]"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom