Excessive rotational play? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
projectpursuitmedia.com
In the process of tearing down prop shafts to try to get rid of some of the clunk in the driveline. The below is my front diff companion flange, does this seem like excessive rotational play? FSM doesn’t talk about rotation that I can find, only runout. There is zero non rotational play.

Mine is the same. Been like that for a year and I gather it's normal. My truck is running well

ezgif-1-7b64fde946.gif

In the process of tearing down prop shafts to try to get rid of some of the clunk in the driveline. The below is my front diff companion flange, does this seem like excessive rotational play? FSM doesn’t talk about rotation that I can find, only runout. There is zero non rotational play.

The rotational play you are showing is the TOTAL play in the system of the front axle.

Pinion to Ring gear
Ring gear carrier to spider gears
spider gears to axle shafts
Axle shafts to Birfields
Birfields to drive flanges.

It's the first one that is the most important. it should be a tiny fraction of that, so it's the little first tick you feel each direction. That's the thrust between the ring and pinion.

Overall, no, there's nothing wrong with that.

In the process of tearing down prop shafts to try to get rid of some of the clunk in the driveline

If your chasing the clunk you hear when going from park to drive or reverse to park or drive scenarios than just stop.

That clunk is normal and plenty of people in the past have reported the clunk existing when bought new.

If it really bothers you, than the fix is simple. When changing gears stop in neutral and let the rig roll an 1" in-between park and drive or reverse and drive etc. No more clunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom