Excessive play on Steering Rack? Vid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
symptom is squirrelly steering, almost as if I'm teeter tottering on slight turn of steering wheel, left to write on highway.

If I have to change the bushings, what other bushings do I also change or else?

OH, and is the hissing noise normal for the 100s?

Yeah I’d replace bushings with poly stuff from white line or super pro. If your rack is leaking at all, just replace entire rack as the bushings are not the easiest task. As far as steering issues go, there really aren’t any other “bushings” to replace to address concerns. While your doing your rack repairs I would also make sure your wheel bearings and tie rods have no slop as well as your ball joints are perfectly tight. Any play in any of these wear items can yield poor alignment and sloppy steering.

Yeah I’d replace bushings with poly stuff from white line or super pro. If your rack is leaking at all, just replace entire rack as the bushings are not the easiest task. As far as steering issues go, there really aren’t any other “bushings” to replace to address concerns. While your doing your rack repairs I would also make sure your wheel bearings and tie rods have no slop as well as your ball joints are perfectly tight. Any play in any of these wear items can yield poor alignment and sloppy steering.
Thanks, I may also hit the sway bar bushing, not sure if it'll help but why not. Actually I'm surprised that the steering racks are not more expensive. I was quite fearful. Hissing noise at steering limit sound OK?

Thanks, I may also hit the sway bar bushing, not sure if it'll help but why not. Actually I'm surprised that the steering racks are not more expensive. I was quite fearful. Hissing noise at steering limit sound OK?
The hissing sound is the pressure that is build inside the high side and no place to go due to the wheel at full lock. I would avoid going to the lock and holding the steering wheel at full lock position. One you hear the hissing sound, just release a bit.

When I make turns on paved road, I will make sure the wheels are spinning at the same time and is not on brake. This minimizes the strain on the P/S rack and components.

Poly or not to Poly?

All power steering pumps bypass at a deadhead to prevent damaging downstream components. And almost all of them sound like that too.

New bushings definitely needed

All power steering pumps bypass at a deadhead to prevent damaging downstream components. And almost all of them sound like that too.

New bushings definitely needed
Oh, and I wouldn't go poly

Update:

Changed the bushings to Poly and the drive is much more stable. HOWEVER, I now have an offset steering wheel. WTF did I do?

Update:

Changed the bushings to Poly and the drive is much more stable. HOWEVER, I now have an offset steering wheel. WTF did I do?

Good followup. Always nice to see the before and after. Keep us updated on the poly over time. I'm curious how long they last.

Alignment probably needed. You clamped the rack down in a position that isn't what center was last time it was aligned. No surprise given how much play there was in your video. Should be a simple fix for an alignment shop.

The LX is not pulling in any direction, I'm wondering if I should just loosen the bolts again and turn the steering wheel so it's straight and then tighten back up. it's only 8-10 deg but bothersome.

Update:

One of things not printed in the instructions or mentioned on the forum much: Before unbolting the steering rack, lock the steering wheel. You'll need an alignment to re-center the steering wheel. Just went through that month before last replacing rack bushes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom