Excessive negative caster after OME Medium lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Read through a ton of caster posts but couldn't find a similar experience. Just had an OME Medium Lift kit installed on a '97 LX450. Included the ARB yellow caster bushings. First impressions were positive though I did notice a little twitchy behavior in the steering as well as a drone or a very slight vibration, assuming dive shaft, starting at about 35mph.

Took the rig to have the alignment checked and the casters readings were -2.0 and -3.1 respectively. No where near the target of positive 3 degrees. I called the install shop and taking the truck back early next week for an inspection. They swear it was done correctly because they used the template to install the bushings. Still seems we have gone the wrong direction of correction as we are now at approximately negative 3 degrees. I'm no suspension expert and trying to become more knowledgable reading various posts here.

What should I look for when visually inspecting the caster bushings under the truck to see if they are installed correctly? Thanks for any input!

When you're looking under the truck at the front two bushings on your radius arms, you should be able to eyeball that the front hole is offset upward from the center of the bushing and the rear hole is offset downward. If it's not, then they're installed wrong. Also odd that one side would be off a full degree from the other (+/- 0 to 0.4 is normal).

Thanks Heckraiser for the feedback. Starting to think they installed the bushings backwards as you described and from other installs. Here is a pic of the back OME bushing on passenger side and two pics of the front bushing. If I'm seeing this correctly, both bushings are installed with offset in wrong direction. Back bushing has b hole offset up and front bushing down. Probably explains why my caster correction went in a negative direction and landed at -3 degrees instead of +3, correct?
Back bushing.jpg
Front Bushing1.jpg
Front Bushing2.jpg

Thanks Heckraiser for the feedback. Starting to think they installed the bushings backwards as you described and from other installs. Here is a pic of the back OME bushing on passenger side and two pics of the front bushing. If I'm seeing this correctly, both bushings are installed with offset in wrong direction. Back bushing has b hole offset up and front bushing down. Probably explains why my caster correction went in a negative direction and landed at -3 degrees instead of +3, correct?
View attachment 1798814 View attachment 1798815 View attachment 1798816

Yes, those are in backwards.

Not happy considering I paid to have this done because I didn't have time leading up to a pending road trip. Stuff happens so will get it re-installed correctly. Will -3 degrees of caster put any significant strain on drive shaft, u-joints or other components until I can get this to the shop next week? I feel a very slight vibration or drone coming from the drive shaft.

Not happy considering I paid to have this done because I didn't have time leading up to a pending road trip. Stuff happens so will get it re-installed correctly. Will -3 degrees of caster put any significant strain on drive shaft, u-joints or other components until I can get this to the shop next week? I feel a very slight vibration or drone coming from the drive shaft.

It will place some additional strain on the joints, but not a binding kind. The main effect will be horrible steering and handling.

Curious: Which shop did you have do this? I'm in Olathe, so I want to know.

Castor of near zero or less means you will have almost no proper control of steering, and it will not be safe to drive at any sort of speed as you'll get head shake. In effect, you'll be pushing the trolley backwards if you imagine a shopping trolley's wheels (as that's exactly what steering caster is intended to prevent). IMHO absolutely do not go anywhere until the caster is fixed up. Also make sure that once the work is done, a full wheel/steering alignment is done and you get a printed report.

View attachment 1798814 View attachment 1798815 View attachment 1798816

I can see the problem clearly in the picture, I had the same problem too. The bushings, I end up getting rid of them. First problem was they never completely corrected the caster problem, next in about less than a year, they were worn out, falling in pieces. I went back and got the OEM bushings installed and got the Man-A-fr drop brackets. Those, now are not available anymore. next best thing: Slee caster plate kit. Sorry, but I had a bad experience with those bushings, since they are eccentric, they wear in the narrow side. Once I installed the drop brackets, the truck runs perfect, doesn't even feel like its lifted.

Slee - Toyota 80 Land Cruiser Suspension Spacers

The slee plates are listed as being used for a 4 inch lift.
Does this mean up to 4 inches ?

No, it means for 4"+.

Most of the lifts at 2.5" do not require caster correction, as it typically stays within range. However, it CAN vary by truck and driver preference. I believe Wits' End (@NLXTACY ) has caster correction plates for lifts LOWER than 4".

Definitely go back to OEM bushings and do caster plates if correction is needed.

The slee plates are listed as being used for a 4 inch lift.
Does this mean up to 4 inches ?
You would have to contact them, they most likely will give the right information.

Read through a ton of caster posts but couldn't find a similar experience. Just had an OME Medium Lift kit installed on a '97 LX450. Included the ARB yellow caster bushings. First impressions were positive though I did notice a little twitchy behavior in the steering as well as a drone or a very slight vibration, assuming dive shaft, starting at about 35mph.

Took the rig to have the alignment checked and the casters readings were -2.0 and -3.1 respectively. No where near the target of positive 3 degrees. I called the install shop and taking the truck back early next week for an inspection. They swear it was done correctly because they used the template to install the bushings. Still seems we have gone the wrong direction of correction as we are now at approximately negative 3 degrees. I'm no suspension expert and trying to become more knowledgable reading various posts here.

What should I look for when visually inspecting the caster bushings under the truck to see if they are installed correctly? Thanks for any input!
How much is your lift? Mine is 4.5" Once you cross the 3 inch threshold, more issues will need to be corrected. I had to do a lot of things to make mine work. One thing I had to get were the adjustable panhard bars.

ARB caster bushings were installed in reverse orientation. Had the shop reinstall yesterday and all is good. Happy road manners now! Thanks everyone for confirming the issue with the bushings

I have a set of drop brackets of you want to go that route.

I have a set of drop brackets of you want to go that route.
Save those, he will need them in about a year, depending on how much he uses the vehicle...:)

Got a pic of the correct position?
Essentially you want the front of the control arm in the low position and rear of the control arm in the high position.
11-Land-Cruiser-OME-Caster-Correction-12-5-11.jpg

@landtank makes a set of 2.5 specific plates.

Bushings were all we had for many years but now we have much better options. LT plates are IMHO the best and only plates I know for 2.5inch lift. OEM bushings are simply the best for on and off road.

@landtank makes a set of 2.5 specific plates.

Bushings were all we had for many years but now we have much better options. LT plates are IMHO the best and only plates I know for 2.5inch lift. OEM bushings are simply the best for on and off road.

Just like I mentioned before, can't beat the OEM bushings. The picture above shows exactly what I say about the weak points on those eccentric bushings. that's were they fail. Plates with OEM bushings are a lot better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom