excessive EGR flow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
I'm posting this here just because.

My daughters 94 Camry has a CEL indicating excessive EGR flow. I've always thought this to be a bad EGR valve not closing properly.

Any other thoughts out there before I give CDan a call tomorrow.

Thanks

The V6 in the 94 should be the 3VZ-FE.... if you need some misc. parts for testing prior to ordering from Cdan, I think much of the EGR is kicking about.

Let me tie this into the 80's section for you so it dosn't get moved... I plan to use the external EGR cooler from the 3VZ-FE on my 1FZ. Running it through the back of the head just throws more stress towards number 6... :flipoff2:

bjowett said:
I plan to use the external EGR cooler from the 3VZ-FE on my 1FZ. Running it through the back of the head just throws more stress towards number 6...

Brian,
This is an excellent idea if you can pull it off. If I remember correctly, the Aussies don't have EGR on their 1FZ-FE engines. They also don't have the frequency of HG failures like we have here in the US (with EGR.)

I have always thought the two were related somehow though there is no way to validate the theory.

-B-

Brian,

Talk to me, dude. My head will be on the workbench by 10am tomorrow and that's pretty much the only time you can mess with that EGR tube - on the bench. What are you thinking?? Is it a matter of applying some fins to the existing FZJ tube while I've got it off, or is there more to it? Your timing is excellent.

DougM

Thanks,

DougM

Stock EGR passes through here...

P1010527_0.JPG

The major hurdle lies in rerouting from the cast into the manifold egr path. If the area below was ground flat between the two studs, a hole drilled, and then a freeze plug slapped in the stock passage...

P1010528_0.JPG

Routing through this piece could be a easy fab job... either connect via a stainless tube or redrill the 2 holes outboard a bit larger to match the pattern and bolt the external cooler right to the manifold.

P1010529_0.JPG

Greetings,

My 94 threw a code 71 (EGR system). Cheapest place to start was the EGR modulator. Even though it tested OK per FSM, I replaced it (no tools required). Reset the CEL, and have not thrown another code since. So far 500 miles.

Steve
94' 150,000

Brian, i remember a while back you posting a block heater from some other vehicle. Did you ever get anywhere with that?

Sorry Rick for the hijack. . . . . .

Excessive EGR flow:

If the '93 Camry EGR works like the big cruiser's, then your possible problems are:

1) EGR Valve stuck open
2) EGR VSV open malfunction
3) Open in VSV circuit for EGR
4) Short in EGR gas temperature sensor circuit
5) ECM problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom