Excessive corrosion and paint chipping with ASAP Flaps hardware (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After installing my ASAP Flaps late last year I noticed within a couple of months that there were signs of rust appearing. I had the chance to take a look this weekend and found that the extruded nuts had excessive corrosion and rubbed the paint off.

What I saw externally:

1C511895-69E7-4C0A-A18A-1AAF7ED20932.jpeg

After taking the bracket off:

BB2D657D-64E7-44EB-B04E-B8213FABACB5.jpeg

You can see that the paint was taken off where the extruded nut was:
8B391140-D775-44A8-8078-03060C47EDDA.jpeg

Culprit:

EAD23151-EC37-4B92-8BC0-CC18C71C1671.jpeg

I then painted and replaced hardware with SS nylock nut and washer (made it a little bit of a PITA to reinstall):
B9508847-EC06-49F3-B56D-AC16C1298599.jpeg

I’d be curious to see if anyone else experienced this? My truck is rust free and I can only imagine what could have happened to the thin metal if I ignored this. After inspecting there was little surface rust on the exposed metal that I wire wheeled and painted. ASAP Flaps have otherwise been a great product for me. I will see how the SS hardware holds up.

There is a nylon plastic version of that metal clip I found on Amazon. I switched out those metal clips almost immediately. The nylon clips have held up for couple if years. I’ll dig up the size and post back.

Nylon fitting

6mm hardware
Also ordered various lengths of these stainless button head screws- I have an aftermarket rear bumper that requires longer fasteners than stock-These havent rusted yet

Last edited:
There is a nylon plastic version of that metal clip I found on Amazon. I switched out those metal clips almost immediately. The nylon clips have held up for couple if years. I’ll dig up the size snd post back.
Looking forward to that link, I will swap over to those plastic clips eventually.

Updated post #2 with links to nylon fasteners and stainless hardware.

@Ramathorn15 this is useful feedback on your amazing mud flaps!

Im sorry you're dealing with this! I'm over these fasteners. It seems my supplier (a US one at that) can't keep them consistent. This is the first I'm hearing of rusting but others have had issues with the threads in the past. I'm guessing the coating on the ones you got is bad as they shouldn't rust like that. They're intended for body panels after all.

I'm going to do some digging and try to find a suitable nylon alternative. I'd like the keep the 1/4" bolt as it's worked well and the rest of the flap hardware is designed around it (washers, spacers, etc.).

I'll report back when I find a good alternative and hopefully can get them to those who are experiencing this problem.

For what its worth. I was apart of a batch in 2019 and I too have the same rust problem. Its nothing crazy, but you know "gangreen"...

But Absolutely love the flaps, i get asked all the time where i got them from. And they have withstood 4 PNW winters, BAJA every year, and they are awesome. Only thing that has come off is OWL's logo.

Rammy-

The solution parts linked above work pretty dang well. 3 years in use and no issues-no paint scratches, no clips broken, no corrosion, no stripping, easy to get threaded and stay in place.

Theyve been tested- Ive got the Bior rear bumper and the wings have that inside negative radius requiring spacers and 50mm screws to get the mount brackets to sit more even. This pushes the bracket a little closer to the wheel. Ive stuffed my rear wheels (35’s) into the mounts- and bent them pretty good but they never came off, the nylon clips didnt break and the button heads didnt pull out.

Last edited:
Rammy-

The solution parts linked above work pretty dang well. 3 years in use and no issues-no paint scratches, no clips broken, no corrosion, no stripping, easy to get threaded and stay in place.

They e been tested- Ive got the Bior rear bumper and the wings have that inside negative radius requiring spacers and 50mm screws to get the mount brackets to sit more even. This pushes the bracket a little closer to the wheel. Ive stuffed my rear wheels (35’s) into the mounts- and bent them pretty good but they never came off, the nylon clips didnt break and the button heads didnt pull out.

I really like those but they're pretty pricey. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it adds up. For comparison, the current nuts are about $8 for 25. Yeah, they're cheap and it's showing, but I've already worked that into the price and would have to increase the already expensive kits to compensate.

I found some 1/4" nylon ones from a large US fastener supplier. I ordered a handful to test out. If they don't work out, I'll likely revert back to what you've found.

And this folks is why we should support our small business innovators.
I have always been happy with the design of @Ramathorn15 products and his excellent after sales customer care .

Agreed- theres nothing like this kit on the market for a 100 series and the overall clever design and ease of use is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom