Excessive "Blocking" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NCFJ

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I will preface this by stating that I am 58 years old, Old School. I've used lead filler, 40 years ago.

That said, when did slathering the entire body in filler and then sanding it all flat become the norm? I see it all the time, even on high dollar customs. When I was a young man only hacks used "bondo".

Fill me in, will ya please. :)

I will preface this by stating that I am 58 years old, Old School. I've used lead filler, 40 years ago.

That said, when did slathering the entire body in filler and then sanding it all flat become the norm? I see it all the time, even on high dollar customs. When I was a young man only hacks used "bondo".

Fill me in, will ya please. :)

As long as it isnt used to build anything or fill in rust holes, i dont see an issue. There is a small amount used on our restoration to level out the panels. Our shop used lead to fill in any pitting. Every piece was sandblasted and coated with epoxy primer so there isnt any worries about moisture or rust.

123951a (1).jpg

I agree. There’s no benefit or good sense in using lead (or a non-toxic metallic alternative) to straighten things out that last mil or two.

Keep in mind that today’s plastic fillers are far superior in every way to those on the market 40 years ago.

Bondo is a brand. A brand no reputable shop uses in a restoration.

I'm not an expert - but filling and blocking the entire vehicle might be called over-restoration by some. High end restorations and paint jobs are better than when a FJ40 or a 1967 Chevelle left the factory. Nothing wrong with it at all they look absolutely awesome. I mean guys are building up the edge of a body panel or door to make the margin perfectly consistent.

Factory body stampings, fit, flushness, and margins back in the day just don't compare to today. A revolution came to new cars in the 90's (led by Honda/Lexus IMHO) where fit and finish took it to the next level. Other makers followed and now that's the standard. I guess high end resto's might be trying to achieve that.

I think the expectations and labor costs are driving it. As Prairie says, fit and finish is vastly superior to what it once was and people just aren’t going to pay for metalworking to that standard, so filling and blocking has become the norm to achieve it.

I'm not an expert - but filling and blocking the entire vehicle might be called over-restoration by some. High end restorations and paint jobs are better than when a FJ40 or a 1967 Chevelle left the factory. Nothing wrong with it at all they look absolutely awesome. I mean guys are building up the edge of a body panel or door to make the margin perfectly consistent.

I think the expectations and labor costs are driving it. As Prairie says, fit and finish is vastly superior to what it once was and people just aren’t going to pay for metalworking to that standard, so filling and blocking has become the norm to achieve it.

I get what you guys are saying and agree to a point. Building edges of panels and doors for a better fit is nothing new, I have done it with a torch and welding rod but that was as you say 35-40 years ago. I also fully understand that most people do not wish to pay for hard core metal work.

I guess what gets me is (I watch far too any car shows) a shop does the high end metal work, gets the car beautiful and then slathers the whole body in filler then sands it all flat. I get what they are doing, the results are clearly amazing. I do panel and patch replacement but stop at a protective coat of primer and the body shop does the paint and body. Probably block the hell out of my work :)

I get what you guys are saying and agree to a point. Building edges of panels and doors for a better fit is nothing new, I have done it with a torch and welding rod but that was as you say 35-40 years ago.

I wouldn’t build up edges with filler - I still use welding rod. Filler would just break off.

wish i had all your tricks guys .Im at a stage where im doing stuff i never learned just to keep me feeling better about lifes journey.
Im hacking my way through and bondo was going to be my sun screen.ouch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom