excellent koyo steering rack rebuild vid. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

great video, but the problem is that a lot of the time the pinion and rack wear... and there is no fixing that with any of the rebuilds out there. With as difficult as it is to get the rack in and out of our rigs, it's not worth the hassle to most folks especially with the bad reputation that most of the "professionally" rebuilt racks.

great video, but the problem is that a lot of the time the pinion and rack wear... and there is no fixing that with any of the rebuilds out there. With as difficult as it is to get the rack in and out of our rigs, it's not worth the hassle to most folks especially with the bad reputation that most of the "professionally" rebuilt racks.
Technically, you can fix that. The rack (rod with teeth inside housing) and pinion (input shaft with gear) are available from Toyota for $180 and $390, respectively. But clearly that’s cost prohibitive, given replacing the entire assembly is only $475-500, and that includes new everything.

I think the problem with most professionally rebuilt racks is that they just replace the seals like this video, not the rack and pinion gears that are probably worn, and I’m sure they use non-OEM seals. Thus, rebuilt is probably a grossly inaccurate representation for what most of those companies are selling. Similar to CVJ rebuilt CV axles - They just reboot and regrease the damn things using a $50 boot kit but don’t replace the worn outboard shafts, and charge $250. Ridiculous.

Technically, you can fix that. The rack (rod with teeth inside housing) and pinion (input shaft with gear) are available from Toyota for $180 and $390, respectively. But clearly that’s cost prohibitive, given replacing the entire assembly is only $475-500, and that includes new everything.

I think the problem with most professionally rebuilt racks is that they just replace the seals like this video, not the rack and pinion gears that are probably worn, and I’m sure they use non-OEM seals. Thus, rebuilt is probably a grossly inaccurate representation for what most of those companies are selling. Similar to CVJ rebuilt CV axles - They just reboot and regrease the damn things using a $50 boot kit but don’t replace the worn outboard shafts, and charge $250. Ridiculous.

I had no idea those parts were available independently! I stand corrected. But, again, price wise... just doesn't make sense. Once you get the rack OUT you will want to melt the damn thing... it's a real pita to get the thing out.

The late racks are 609 minimum. That's why I went looking, and got a price for all things needed minus the r&p. I'd do it if I had more time and a boot wasn't filing up as I type.
Absolute cheapest from Singapore for all rebuild parts is about 300 oem. I could deal with a little bit loose as long as it didn't leak.
As it stands 643 is the best price today for an oem late year rack.

Toyota south Atlanta, even with mcGeorge 5 10 percent off shipping today still doesn't get under 650.

I do agree though. It's almost not worth it. But could be too some people.

I was glad to see someone video the spring retainer through the hole thing, and pre load setting.
I loved the video and I'd love to rebuild one.
Probably will when I get this one out, and find another job.

Last edited:
forgot oem ends also, best price 28$ each, and a month wait. add that in. There's your 700$ mark. It's irritating.

What’s the going rate to remove the old and install a new rack?

Anyone know the tool/part that allows the remove of the reverse nut in the contral valve?

Can't see what is in your link but all the tools needed for the job are listed with their part number in the FSM.
Doesn't this video show you exactly the what you'll need to get the R&P open up?

@medtro , as always really appreciate this forum... not sure how i spaced on that. Desert heat and between the reindexing of my tbars and dropping in this new rack/pinion just didnt come to mind.

100 series rack.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom