Exam procrastination: With Paint (Shock mount relocation) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are a few of us out there that are trying to fix our front shock mounts to clear our draglink on the drivers side with a SOA or a 4+lift. I didnt like my goofy mounting bracket I made on my axle, So i think i came up with something that Im gonna fabricate once I get home after my Final Exams.
Heres my goofy bracket that sets the shock out far enough to miss the drag link...

And here is what ive done with PAINT on my computer
(This is the stock Shock Tower for the Drivers Side with the draglink)

Now this is the Front view of the braket I plan to make to help relocate the top mounting point for the shock to help it clear the draglink.( The Black circle is the draglink)

Heres another view of How it should look by looking right at it.

I'd rather "fix" it by installing power steering;)

I would sooooooooooo buy one, i am sure many other people would buy one too. Please make them, i appreciate your thoughts.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm planning to do a mini truck p.s., isn't it true that if i go this route the drag link will still rub?

also if you run ford shock towers you are clear of this. just a little fyi

your thinking, i like where your heads at

You got some mad paint skills :cheers:

Will be interesting to see how it looks put together

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm planning to do a mini truck p.s., isn't it true that if i go this route the drag link will still rub?

Correct.

What are you studying? You should take an engineering graphics course and get up on autocad and solid works. I can't believe how good that looks in paint though. That's not a bad idea either, but really the ford towers are soooo cheap. I think I spent about thirty dollars. I found a dealership online who I could order them from and get them delivered.

What it really is, is that i have too much time on my hands today
but I am currently a Sophomore studying Mechanical Engineering, Ive got a long way to go still, I do use auto cad and solid works, I just dont have either on this particular computer. I think I'm gonna give this a try first, then maybe move onto the ford shock towers if necessary. Ill be sure to post pics and description when I complete the "build"

I'm studying ME to, actually I am taking a little break, but will be studying it again soon. I had a real hard time with dynamics and thermo last semester (haven't taken diif. eq. yet which you are probably about to finish). EVERY ONE out here has a bootleg copy of at least one of those two programs, I bet there is one floating around over there too. Good luck with your exams!

all this college chat im starting to feel like an old man

Statics and Dynamics....talk about a trip down memory lane. When I took it, the teacher, on the first day, said look to your left and look to your right. One of the three of you will pass this course, the other two will not! I passed it....the second time (albeit with a better teacher).

That's some of the sickest MS Paint graphics I have ever seen! Did you see what I had done to space my center arm? I think I still have the 3/4" scab plate I had made somewhere in my scrap pile. It would be a fairly easy fix, but your solution seems really cool. You may be able to make a few dollars to fund the Cruiser habit!

all this college chat im starting to feel like an old man

I don't know how old is old, but I didn't even start till I was out of the Navy, and I am making college a long term project like everything else. I'll be over 30 at least before I graduate, but I'll have a sick cruiser!

Be sure to add your tires to the equation. Moving the top of the shock toward the tire could cause the tire to rub the shock. Ask me how I know...

I installed the Ford F250 shock towers which tilt out and mount the shocks almost vertical like your drawing shows. With 3.5" of backspacing on 15x8 wheels running 35x12.50s, my tires rub badly on the shock at mild flex. I need to cut the F250 towers and tilt the shock away from the tire while spacing it away from the drag link also. If you are running less backspacing, you may not have this issue.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Bud. I'm running 2.5 backspacing, so we will have to see. I thought about this earlier and It doesn't seem like its going to be a problem. Me being at school(3 hours from home) I haven't been able to actually look to see if all this will actually work. Thanks for the heads-up though! more research and procrastination i guess!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom