Ex manifolds same F to F2? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a cracked exhaust manifold on my 67 F, know of a 7X F2 manifold (unseen) can I use it?

Thanks.

Before you do anything, check the engine serial number and check the SOR website to find out what year your engine really is. I ordered parts for the engine in my '65(6) and it had a '74 F-and-a-half.
Maybe post a pic of the manifolds. Like CruisinMT says, if the motor is original to the vehicle you will have difficulty sourcing a good used manifold.

GL:beer:

Ed

you might have to go with a header..........my F engine <oct 74>came with one installed by a PO......don't know who made it but rsbcruiser also has one on his 74 F 1 1/2 and neither of ours is leaking....HTH

Lou

the 67 f engine has siamese ports 68+ dont. You, me and a few other guys have the engine with the hardest parts to find.

Cruisin, 67 and what years leading up to that? Tell me it´s not just 67 please. Actually I´m going on worst case scenario, I´m hoping it´s a bad gasket.

Siamese ports, what does that mean? Each two banks of three cylinders are mirrored by the other three I suppose, rather than just evenly spaced? I´m nearly positive this is the original engine but will eye ball the port spacing and see if they look Thai, hah.

ciao

Manifolds:

1958-1967 (except that my 1967 Toyota Land Cruiser parts book shows the next one {1968 version} for 1967, so possibly at least some 67's had 68 manifolds = F145 engines :D)

044A.gif

1968-1974

044B.gif

1975-1976

044C.gif

And so on.

It changes a lot. You can see from the gaskets that the configuration of the exhaust manifold ports changes substantially.

The siamese reference is to the intake manifold. Early cast iron intakes (top) had a single port for each adjacent pair of intake valves, whereas later (bottom) aluminum intakes had separate ports for each intake valve.
IMG_0754 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
When I asked this (sort of) same question a few years ago, Mark (of Marksoffroad) pointed out that it's possible only if you swap the entire head/manifold combination, which entails resolving a lot of other issues.

IH8MUD.com Forum - View Single Post - Little Head Question

You should probably find a new exhaust manifold or paired exhaust/intake, or go with headers as N2666S mentioned. However, I'm not sure that exhaust headers for the old vehicles are readily available. It may also be possible to have someone repair yours.

Unless you have a 68 style engine/head. In which case you probably could use the later setup just fine if you also took the intake and carburetor and used them.

Last edited:
Weld it?

Well, I think (but will look in about 10 min) that mine is the 68 style, so... with luck then the later manifold that is available here will fall within the 68 to 7X range and I will be able to use it. Now Im pretty sure I have been told at least once that the iron manifolds cant be welded, but what about the aluminum ones¿¿¿ The guy with these parts is greedy!

thanks!

Exhaust manifolds can be repaired by braizing.

Don't forget your exhaust manifold has to match the intake as well as the head.

I got off my butt and checked the manifold bolts and they were pretty loose and when the got cinched down the noise was quieter but still there. I think a gasket will do it :clap:. Thanks though, now I´m educated on one part of my Fj40...haha, ope... no, I also now know that the front diff is interchangable with the rear! :bounce:

In a tropical climate would it be a good idea to seal off the exhaust manifold where it joins to the intake? Then again maybe it would just be a potential cause of trouble and not gain anything... but in a hot climate a boiler under my carb cant be a great thing?

i wouldnt worry about it. Our 67' engines are tough. Whooaa

No doubt, anyway new gaskets cured the problem, and no I did not separate the intake from the exhaust... you know... "if it aint broke".

mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom