evil cone washers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi

i searched a bit for this but didn't find much so.... sorry if it's been covered.

i'm trying to get the axles shafts out of my full float rear, and the cone washers are not budging. i've soaked them in penetrating lube, and hit the stud with a hammer (via brass drift) but nothing is moving.

a previous mechanic put on some non-factory nuts/washers which seems to have peened over a couple of the washers, i suspect they are now an interference fit to the thread on the stud. :mad:

so, what are the last resort methods for getting the cone washers out? they don't seem to respond at all to verbal assault.

also, like most of the rest of the axle i presume the cone washers are the same as the front axle. where is the best place to get replacements?

I know you can get replacement washers from c-dan at American Toyota, as well as Marlin Crawler (the front axle washers, at least). Check out their axle parts page. I imagine Spector has them, as well, but they'll cost more.

I had to use a small chisel and a hammer to get my washers out. Found the split in the washer, hammered the chisel into there and -- after a lot of cursing -- the thing split open and drove itself upwards/outwards. You might try that. But you're doing the right method with the soaking and the brass drift. Sometimes it just takes forever... a lot of PB blaster and time..

Whatever you do, be careful not to bend/tweak the bolt by being overly aggressive; it's definitely do-able (I did it!). Another replaceable part but ideally you don't have to replace everything...

If you have a brass hammer smack the crap out of the outter hub...

i don't have an answer, but i hate those damn things too. sorry it's suckin for you.

i used a small chisel and hit between the edge of the cone and the flange
hth. carl

Lock two nuts together on one stud. Then turn the stud out of the hub. Separate the cone washers after the stud is out. This would be a good time to replace the studs. Often they rust right at the line where the threads meet the surface of the hub.

Nick

i'm going to order new studs and cone washers in the morning. destruction of some seems inevitable and while i'm in there......

marlin crawler has hub cone washers and studs for minis and 4runners, are they the same for my LC? it's a good price point to see what my dealer can do for me.

for those that suggested a small chisel: cold chisel? the cone washers are brass right? not terribly hard

That's a solid plan...

And try Zebra's technique before you go overboard on the chiseling.. it could make life a lot easier (you just need a nut that willf it). On the chisel front I just used the smallest, strongest chisel I could find ... I think it was a 1/2" or maybe even smaller. The cone washer's are pretty damn tough so don't worry too much about them.

Marlin has a good deal on the cone washers/studs..about the same as Cruiser Dan's price, I think. You'll also notice they're the new kind of studs that can be tightened via a torque wrench. You just gotta buy that pricey snap-on socket for them. I've upgraded about half of my knuckle studs to these... it seems like in the long run it'll make life a lot easier.

ballardcruiser said:
Marlin has a good deal on the cone washers/studs..about the same as Cruiser Dan's price, I think. You'll also notice they're the new kind of studs that can be tightened via a torque wrench. You just gotta buy that pricey snap-on socket for them. I've upgraded about half of my knuckle studs to these... it seems like in the long run it'll make life a lot easier.

He is working on a rear axle...not the knuckle. ;)

Oh...and bladredhead....the cone washers are not brass...they are steel.

:beer:

if i only had a(n air) hammer

new studs and cone washers should be here tomorrow, which is perfect because i'm considering playing hookie on thursday to finish this damn thing.

another idea: keep the nuts on the stud, turned out to be flush. Helps prevent you from crushing the first thread with the drift...

soooo, tackled the damn studs yesterday. i tried the brass drift and hammer again, no luck.

since i had new studs and cone washers i decided to see what it would take to pop a cone washer off, so with just the hammer i began pounding, very hard. the stud visibly deformed before the cone washer popped off on the couple i tried.

the remainder were simply unscrewed with vise grips, ugly but effective. several of the studs were rusted to the cone washer, those were never going to come out.

thanks for the suggestions all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom