Everything I like about the 60"s LC is why I don't like the new Bronco (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

no electronic nannies tellin' me how the f%#k to drive
That drives me nuts about my Tacoma. Can only have the lockers engaged in 4low.

That drives me nuts about my Tacoma. Can only have the lockers engaged in 4low.

Hi, I looked at the Ford ,too small, not enough towing ability, roof won’t come off like original Bronco,.......Mike

Hi, I looked at the Ford ,too small, not enough towing ability, roof won’t come off like original Bronco,.......Mike

Roof is removable on both 2-door and 4-door. 4-door will come standard with a soft top and hard top.

2-door is roughly the same size as a new Wrangler, the 4-door about the same as a Range Rover. If you want to tow, buy a V8 pickup, not something purpose-built for off-pavement.

I really really love this Bronco so far, but am a bit disappointed by the IFS, but as others have pointed out, the off-road superiority of a SFA rarely gets used and I don't rock crawl, so not a deal breaker. There are plenty of features on it that make it very attractive: F&R factory lockers. Dana 44 diffs/axles (if you get the locker equipt model), sway disconnect, traction control .... And the fooking game changer, with the 7-speed manual trans, a Crawler gear at 95:1 ! That's lower than my Orion!

Plus, not well known, yet, but Ford reportedly is planning on offering differential gearing options.

But oh! The price!

The new Bronco like the Land Rover Defender is a major letdown. I was excited when they announced it and after reading the reviews, seeing the pictures I will pass.

The new Bronco like the Land Rover Defender is a major letdown. I was excited when they announced it and after reading the reviews, seeing the pictures I will pass.
Exactly how I feel.. Landrover total missed the opportunity to capitalize on the US market with their version of a new age design.

Bronco- Looks good, lots of options and customization.. Not a fan of the all can participate and lock the market up with the $100 no penalty freeze. The market will be saturated with these in the next 5 yrs!

I loved my 69’ Bronco.. kick myself I could not find a way to keep 2 toys, but with that said my FJ62 is the best all around classic and IMO even today, best looking vehicle $$ can buy. Can not even compare the dependability of the Toyota 3FE.. trusted crank every time!

oh and did I mention.. just simply bad ass

62DE41ED-47EA-4964-86A0-3F2F476FDD6D.jpeg

I've seen the videos of the new Bronco doing obstacles that I would not do with my 60. There are 60's out there that would and could. The thing is, we can modify these trucks in our garage to go places, do things from moving furniture, camping, or full on crawlers.
Also our 60's are self maintainable. With skills, we might be able to rebuild the relays (lol). If you have the skill to do the harder trails, why would you sacrifice that for crawl control, or antilock brakes for that matter. I guess I'm old fashioned. I don't wish to see TEQunique sacrificed for TEQnology.

I think Ford got it right. With the options of being able to remove doors, roof, etc. and the ability to maximize the options for personal taste they have created the modern version of the FJ40. This is what Toyota should have done with the FJ cruiser. If the Bronco looked more like the 40 and had Toyota written on the side most of use woiuld be all over it.

Agreed. I love my daily driver FJ62, but love is not blind.

Ford got it right with the new Bronco. They hit a great balance between what the enthusiast community wants and what they can actually manufacture and sell. The geometry (approach, departure, breakover) is great. The manual with a granny gear makes me drool. Off road performance should be near the top end of stock vehicles in production.

IFS doesn't bother me. Until you get above 35 inch tires, SFA has as many problems as it does advantages. IFS is better for just about everything on road and off except rock crawling. If you don't believe that, then follow a built Hundy, Taco, FJ Cruiser, HiLux, etc... around. Drivers being equal, a top shelf IFS Bronco (35a, lockers, etc...) should run circles around a stock 60-series, and keep doing so until you bring out a 60 with a spring-over - which has it's own set of compromises.

That said, if I had to spend that kinda money right now, I'd use it to put a Cummins in my Fj62. I probably will anyway, but I want to see the original motor roll through 300,00 miles next year.

If I had to buy a new vehicle, and didn't have my 60, I might choose the Bronco. IFS was a huge advantage with my Baja Bug. That car did most of the Moab area trails without a locker or 4-wheel drive. I took it many places that my 60 will never see. I miss driving it, but not the constant repairs.

Exactly............ my new VW GLI 6 speed his a dangerous "hill hold feature". If you stop the car on a hill the brakes will NOT release for three seconds. It is absolutely a safety issue that VW does not allow the driver to turn off. Supposedly the only way that it can be turned off is doing a process called "long coding" the computer, something my Toyota 2F mind doesn't even comprehend.

And I can't stand the auto climate controls on any newer car that don't let me set it the way I want and automatically go back to the default settings every time it shuts off. It won't let me run A/C on fresh mode. And I can't just hit the recirc button when I'm in normal mode, for example when you get behind a stinky car. And a bunch of other things it won't let me do. Apparently my car is smarter than me, which if you take to the extreme means I will soon be irrelevant lol. Sooooo much prefer the 4 mechanical knobs of the 60, and the 4runner up until like 2002 I think if you got the base version.

How did you get a high roof on an FJ62?

My work truck is a 2019 ranger. It rides much rougher on bumpy roads than my 60. The 60 is also much more fun to drive, even if it is slower.

Funny you mention that. I have a 2020 loaded Ford Raptor. My first Ford ever and honestly I really love a lot of things about it. I wish Toyota would catch up a little on the Tundra as far as cab functionality, comfort and features.

However, I took it out on a sunday drive to do a 100 mile dirt road loop in rural WY. The ride quality was great, but all kinds of squeaks and rattles. My family rejoiced outloud when we finally reached pavement again and the squeaks stopped.

Last night I took my 60 on a long offroad loop. Half way through my daughter says, "Dad, why is your 36 year old cruiser more quiet than your brand new "specifically design for offroad use" Raptor?!" The only thing rattling was my metal hydroflask in the metal tuffy console cup holder.

I asked the ford forum folks for ideas to reduce the noise - Instead of giving me some ideas for improvement like the good folks on Mud do, the ford forum was full of responses like "get used to it if you're driving offroad".

Having said that, the Bronco looks pretty dang cool. I won't be selling my cruisers for one, but shoot it looks tempting.

7C68A0C4-4834-4C0B-A7F2-133AE5ACD426.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom