Everyday organization of trunk area (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I seem to end up carrying all kinds of random stuff in the back of my LC. Air compressor, trailer hitch, tools and odds and ends. It drives me crazy. At some point I want to do a full drawer setup, but I can't swing it right now. So I'm looking for some kind of a bin, large toolbox or tote/locker for the meantime. Also, I don't have rear sets in mine, so the area is huge. I have checked out the Ridgid plastic toolboxes and bins and they look to be great quality. How do you keep it organized back there?

Also, I'v got a Krazy Beaver shovel. How do people mount those on the inside of the rig?

Bags. I use canvas tool bags. About $12/ea at Home Depot, one is full of "hard" gear, trailer hitch, recovery strap, gloves etc.
The other is full of "soft" gear, tie down rope, heavy duty zip ties, 7-round to flat-4 wire harness etc.
Then a 3rd bag that's empty, I use that one for keeping things upright when I transport them, gallon of milk, motor oil, etc. and it is also used for carrying hand tool's and the like for travel repairs.

Also, with tool bags I can remove one or all if needed and tie them down so they don't become projectiles in a accident.

I love my Chum Buckets from our friend and fellow forum member @cruzerDave. These are an excellent product and are without a doubt the toughest canvas bags I have ever felt. They come with extremely heavy duty zippers that have never given me a problem despite how much stuff I cram in them, and I truly believe they will last a very long time. The largest of my bags contains 6 shackles which is what I grab during recoveries and bring to the stuck vehicle. This bag is often times placed in mud, water, sand, etc.. and it takes it like a champ. When I get back home I just dump the contents out and hose them off and they're good to go. Get the Big Dog Meal Deal (one of each size) and you will not be disappointed. I do not give praise to products that I do not believe in or depend on.

I got tired of bags sliding around, I use a PLano sportman case I got from Home Depot for like $35 or so. Latches and also groves for tie downs.

I leave the EDC stuff in there. tools, straps, tarp, fix a flat kit, TP, spare fluids, air compressor.

I want to build a drawer system soon since I have a hitch bike rack now, I don't need the vertical space inside to mount the bike.

Plano® 108-qt. Sportman's Trunk : Cabela's

I practically work out of my car, so I have almost a garage worths of tools in here. I just use an assortment of tool bags and a few tool caddies. Eventually I’ll get drawers, but also I’ll eventually get a truck to work out of.

Pelican case... you're welcome. ;)

I use a 1650 for most things, it can eat up 3 soft tool bags, a bow saw, hitch gear, recovery gear, camp kitchen, ratchet straps, all kinds of stuff. Plus it can be strapped down and still be opened. A 1500/1600 is a nice size too, about the size of a overgrown laptop bag. They're tough, waterproof, dust-proof and lockable. Even when full or empty you can rest all kinds of crap on top of them too giving you your "floor" space back. They can be strapped on top of your roof when needed to save interior room.

They cost a lot, so buy one used off CL or eBay. I use mine for all kinds of stuff around the house and camp.

FWIW, I won't buy a 1650 that doesn't have the newer handle style and double latch design. I find them for less than $150 all the time.

Loving my Outback drawers. Pricey and heavy I know but a super clean way to haul gear.

I was a fan of hunting bins/totes and other plastic bins before I made the SS1 platform system. You can get a $40 Plano box from Cabelas that will hold a good amount, with a weather-resistance seal, no less. I would then use ratchet straps to secure it to the floor so it didn't move around.

Now with the SS1 I use a couple low profile plastic bins (under-bed style) and small standard shape bin. It's a great way to keep things tidy and costs very, very little to get started.

Pelican cases would be the premium version of what I'm recommending, but I never wanted to spend $100+ per container.

I went with one of these last year - Remington Weathertight 87qt Storage Container

10363218.jpg

I use a larger rubbermaid action packer with a majority of my recovery stuff, general tools, and spare fluids. Then I use a smaller one for long trips for all of my smaller, and specialized tools and spare parts. I typically carry everything I would need to do any major service to the cv's, front wheel bearings and the like. I strap these down with a tie down using the rear seat anchors. Then I have a metal rack inside bolted down that I use it to stack additional stuff on and tie down too. I've used the rear area like this for almost three years now.

But I'm going to probably go to a single drawer set up so that my son has the ability to use one side of the third row again.

I got tired of bags sliding around, I use a PLano sportman case I got from Home Depot for like $35 or so. Latches and also groves for tie downs.

I leave the EDC stuff in there. tools, straps, tarp, fix a flat kit, TP, spare fluids, air compressor.

I want to build a drawer system soon since I have a hitch bike rack now, I don't need the vertical space inside to mount the bike.

Plano® 108-qt. Sportman's Trunk : Cabela's

That's why you strap them down...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom