Every 90K miles, do this.......PHH, Starter, Fuel Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Put the Cruiser in the garage and jack up the Left front tire. Remove the tire and the rubber flaps in the wheel well. Pull the starter and replace the contacts and plunger. While you have the starter out, replace the Fuel filter. Also, while the starter is out, replace the PHH. All 3 tasks are relatively easy to accomplish with the starter out, and in your garage. I did the PHH in an hour yesterday, not counting the time to remove the tire and the starter. I did the fuel filter in about 20 minutes, again not counting the time to remove the tire and starter. Access is so much easier with the DS tire and starter out, that you don't need to slot the filter mounting hole or anything else, just remove the old one and install the new one.

Another tip - when draining the block, get a 5 gallon bucket and about 3 feet of heater hose. Have a helper available to remove the radiator cap. Get under the car and remove the drain plug from the block. Coolant will seep out slowly due to the suction of the radiator cap. Hold the heater hose tight against the block over the drain hole, with the other end in the bucket. Have your helper remove the rad cap, and drain the block into the bucket. I did this yesterday, and spilled about 4 tablespoons on the ground - the rest went in the bucket. The last time I drained the block, most of the coolant went on the floor and made a mess.

Good advice. I need to replace my starter contacts and fuel filter.

so PHH is much easier with starter out then?
good to know!

Sure, it's right above the starter. Everything's easier with the head off, too. And the motor out for that matter.

I have the starter contacts/plunger and the fuel filter. Still trying to decide on which route to go with the PHH. But like you, I plan to do all three at the same time. It only seemed to make sense...

cruiserman said:
Everything's easier with the head off, too. And the motor out for that matter.

True dat................. :rolleyes:

tominboise you could use a hose barb to drain the block if you didn't have someone around to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom