Ever wonder what 20 KM's of Amsteel looks like? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wife's job involves putting electronic receivers on the ocean floor, and they use amsteel for the risers and connecting lines...

so they order it by the 20 Kilometer box.

Worth about double what most of our trucks are...:eek:

I've been hacking it into 300 meter lengths , then splicing eyes and thimbles into it.

Which is what I'll be doing as I watch the hockey game tonight...:rolleyes:

Anyways, thought you guys would find the pic interesting. Box is about 4' square.

IMG_3690.jpg

probably only one or two km's in the line basket...

And yes, they are aware that I covet a smaaaalll little chunk off the end...:lol:

IMG_3691.jpg

i only know what 200 feet of 1 inch looks like.

I need a couple of good lengths of the stuff for a winch extension.
Gotta pull a moose out of the bush sometime this year I am hoping.

hey, I'd need an operable winch first anyways.

It probably wouldn't be strong enough for my 6700 lb PTO winch anyways.

hey, I'd need an operable winch first anyways.

It probably wouldn't be strong enough for my 6700 lb PTO winch anyways.

I think this batch is around 12k breaking strength, but haven't checked the sheet on it.

not as strong as amsteel blue, but somewhere in the middle.

I'll probably give it a go when I get a winch again. It's a lot nicer to deal with than s***ty old cable.

i can get amsteel blue, not cheep though. And you need a cover. 3/8 is good for 15000 or something like that. If theres enough people intersted I could look into it. I think last time I priced it was $1.50/ft. I would want to do 1000 feet to make it worth it.

yeah, these are the specs, I'm not really sure if this stuff is amsteel blue or regular amsteel. According to this spec sheet, the blue comes in yellow...and the regular does not...

I'll have to ask the dude who ordered it when he gets back in town next week.

but the 3/8 blue is freakish strong...(gotta like the 44k breaking strength on the 1/2"...:eek:)

Handy stuff for around the shop tho. cool to have a skinny little rope that's easy to splice and tie, that's strong enough to lift an engine , or your whole freakin truck if need be...:lol:

I could probably get a deal on the stuff too, but it'd be tough to dumb down the concept enough to explain it to the army of PHD's in that place. And it 20km's might be more than the club needs...although if steven keeps on his present pace, his next rescue operation might require a bit ...:lol:

AmSteel
This line yields one of the highest strength-to-weight ratio's available. It is stronger than steel, floats, and will not absorb water. It is very slippery and will not hold well around cleats, stoppers and winches. Apply a polyester cover material to the area of the rope where it needs to be winched or cleated and lock-stitch the cover to the core.
Diameter
Inches Tensile
Lbs. Weight/
100 FT Part
Number
1/8" 1,800 0.5 SAS1204*
3/16" 3,800 1.0 SAS1206*
1/4" 6,600 1.6 SAS1208*
5/16" 9,800 2.7 SAS1210*
3/8" 14,100 3.6 SAS1212*

(*) Add color code: G (grey), R (red)

AmSteel Blue
This line yields the highest strength-to-weight ratio available. it has all of the same charateristics as AmSteel, but is stronger.
Diameter
Inches Tensile
Lbs. Weight/
100 FT Part
Number
7/64" 1,600 0.3 SAS12P764
1/8" 2,300 0.5 SAS12P04
3/16" 5,400 1.0 SAS12P06
1/4" 8,600 1.5 SAS12P08
5/16" 13,700 2.6 SAS12P10
3/8" 20,445 3.7 SAS12P12
7/16" 23,925 4.2 SAS12P14
1/2" 44,660 6.4 SAS12P16

(*) Add color code: B (blue), BK (black), G (green), Y (yellow).

Last edited:
The guy I can get it from has done some breaking strength tests in a test bed on 1" and it broke just over the advertised load. Its very impressive stuff. We use it for slinging under the helicopters and used to break 5/8" steel once in a while but have not broke the rope. Some of it has been in service for quite a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom