1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever had a friend that basically lives in your wallet ?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Razor, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Razor

Razor

Man,
    when is it time to dump a friend...

Guy is alway's in my wallet, makes money off of everything I do for him....I will mention a opportunity in conversation, and all of a sudden he is my partner.

Calls my house at midnight offering some get rich deal, I went for it only cause he was so desperate and sure of himself...

Only to find that it cost me 50 bucks and he made hundreds.....

I cut him off on a wholesale part he needed today, he brought up the get rich deal that he supposedly put me at the top of the piramid scam thing, and made me feel guilty about the whole frickin thing...

What else can I do for HIM to make him money...??

what to do...

2. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

Man, I got this good plan to make some money... Just chip in $50 and you'll get some of it back.

3. Razor

Razor

ya,
    I loaned him 3.2K that night, I guess I should feel lucky he paid it back within 5 day's.

4. calamaridog

calamaridog

Sometimes you have to cut your losses.

I turned my back on my best friend after knowing him for about 18 years. I was always digging him out of deep trouble. When I was in college, he started bringing trouble to my new friends. His life was a waste and it was dragging me down to always have to pick him up.

He was a major liability and had become very selfish. I gave and gave for years until I had nothing left to give.

So I told him to pound sand. One of the hardest things I ever did.

I still have mixed feelings, but I believe I made the right decision.

The people who I am still friends with are not selfish people.

5. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Tell him you have a new accountant and he is totally anal. You can no longer spend money on such 'things' anymore. Absolves you of the responsibility and may keep pressure off the friendship ..

kinda a lateral approach, but eh ? Whatever does the job ..

TY

6. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

Yep, cut him loose about 10 years ago. Not only was he always broke, and me and another couple friends always had to pay his bar tab, pay to help him fix (and do the work while he drank our beer) his truck, etc. He went downhill really quick when he finally got busted for dwi. We would go out, he would loaded on our dime, then get in fights, get arrested, etc. Last I heard he was in jail. Too bad, he WAS a really great guy.

7. crushers

crushers post ho

"friends" don't screw friends...
    no friend of yours.

i would go about it this way... no more money for ANYTHING... everytine he asks the answer is no, he will get the hint. if he is your friend then that won't change anything... if he isn't he will move on...
    cheers

8. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    its called a wife :D

9. crushers

crushers post ho

in this household it is the husband...

honey, can i get ***** for the truck?
    or
    honey, look what i found in Japan, can i get? can i? please?
    ;^) cheers

10. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

The fact that you wrote this thread means that you recognize the problem. You KNOW what you have to do. You just have to find the balls to do it.

11. Koffer

Koffer

No friend just a brother :censor:

12. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Haven't you written about this 'friend' on here before and loaning him $$$? I remember somebody had a friend that they kept loaning $$ too and never saw it again...

Not much of a buddy if you ask me.

13. Razor

Razor

That is the best advise I have had...I think I have been doing that already for a couple of day's....yes ! this is daily.

Today he called and left a message and asked if he was taking advantage of me in anyway and to let him know....

I havn't been returning his calles and it is making him think a little.

what a chump...

No is the best answer at this point

14. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    When I was in dental school, I had a friend who was an airline pilot and would call me when he was in town and wanted to "take ME to lunch". At that time I was either broke or broker and EVERY TIME we went to lunch (his treat), he "didn't have his wallet". After three of those encounters, I told him I could not afford to have him "take me to lunch".
    We are still friends, and he still makes gestures, but guess what.....

The older I get, the more narrow my definition of "friend" becomes.

Tough call,
    GL

Ed

15. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    I can't stress enough how badly you need to just "turn off" the financial faucet.

There are people out there who will literally camp out in your back pocket.

All friendships aside, truth of the matter is it's flat out bullshit and every single one of them knows EXACTLY what the hell they're doing. "Hmmmmmmm I bet Rick would go for this....."......

Been through several of these "friends" you speak of. Get away from them financially. If they're still around 6 months from now then they were genuine. I'd be willing to bet they're LONG gone to the next stack of Bennies.

16. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Some of these people aren't even just camping out of a certain friends pocket, they're probably trying their 'sell' to anyone within earshot. The friends hear about it because they're in contact the most, but I bet if they looked around they'd see this guy is hustling a boatload of suckers dumb enough to listen to one pitch after another.

Stop being so 'available' ..

TY

17. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

:confused: The Don, said "friends and money,,, oil and water" make him an offer he can't refuse.

18. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

And what was that other movie, where the kid is doing favours for the mob, and the kid is looking for advice because this kid he loaned $10 is avoiding him all the time and won't pay up. The mob guy says .. Look at it this way .. that guy ain't never gonna bug ya again. That $10 is the best money you ever spent .. for a little peace and quiet from the likes of him. Don't sweat it ..

Or something like tat ..

TY

19. Razor

Razor

My wife is LHAO,
    she said just now......

Hey Rick !
    Your buddy just called, he mentioned KOHL's is have a killer sale today......If rick runs down and loads up on new clothes, and tells his buddy how much he saved,,,,,this so called buddy would want some kinda kick back or 1/2 the savings......

Thats how this "friend" thinks

20. archie

archie

Friends are a dime a dozen and can be made at any time. Good friends and relatives should be just as expendable as any new friend. If you percieve your friend believes you are his asset, then you should percieve your friend as your liability.
    Friendship is a two way street and if your friend doesn't have too much to offer you in gratitude for all the favors you have given, then you should not waste your time.
    My .02 cents.