1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ever had a check your body couldn't cash?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by FLFJ40, Jul 28, 2005.

1. FLFJ40

FLFJ40

What would happen if your back went out in the middle of a race and you let the whole team down?

2. Critter

Critter

Chiropractors have their place but I would goto a orthopedic surgeon for advice on this one.

No offense meant to chiropractors but...

3. drnls

drnls

Critter - as a Chiropractic Doctor no offense taken. Usually an orthopedic surgeon is best left to the extremity (knee,shoulder, hip etc.) complaints. There are great ortho's out there but if back surgery is considered then a micro-neuro surgeon that specializes in spinal complaints is best. Kind of like taking the Mercedes to the Chevy mechanic.

CJ - it sounds like you should take a break, continue treatment and then strengthen your back and stomach muscles - this would help prevent any future injuries. Nelson

4. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Nelson, x-rays revealed that i have an extra Vertebrae in my lower back which causes my lower back to come out of alignment very easily. It's pretty painful.

5. LongIsland60

LongIsland60

At the risk of upsetting all the chiros out there... "A trip to the chiropractor revealed I had a fawked up back and was advised not to run with a 75lb tire three days a week in practice and weekends"

My experience has been that chiropractors tell everyone that their back is fawked. That is what they do. Their MO is like a drug dealer - "first one is free" and then continual adjustments are needed for your whole life. The endorphins release after an adjustment make you feel great, but then after a period you go back to normal. the good experience I had with chiropractors is that they usually promote good posture and eating habits. I am not sure about some of the tactics though. I have yet to hear of one person who was declared fit by a chiropractor. I really loved the Penn and Teller show "Bullshit!" which showed (and I saw it too at the practice I went to) chiropractors adjusting children and babies. Scary.

6. concretejungle

I must admit, i was skeptical at first when the chiro told me i needed adjusting 3 days a week every week. That was a lot of money and a lot of trips to the chiro. When i got laid off i lost my insurance so i stopped going. My back now only hurts on occasion when i do something like running with tires or lifting boulders when helping my roommy landscape. I also just got a new mattress, one of those firm memory foam ones. It seems to be helping a lot also. I was thinking about giving it another shot using a back brace.

7. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

A cheque my body couldn't cash?? What are you kidding me? Have you seen this sinuey mountain of muscle dude??

*snicker .. cough .. hack .. wince!*

s***e! My rib .. my rib .. I think I broke something ..

Hold that thought ... *ahem*

TY - *choking on a phlegmball*

8. mabrodis

mabrodis

His team would drive over his ass! :D

That sucks about your back...my back had 'gone out' only once that I can remember, wasn't lifting anything or anything like that, just walking around the office and bam, shooting pain, etc. I went to a chiro, she was small and weak tried to twist me all up, I wanted to punch her, hurt like hell, no relief at all (probably because I wouldn't relax, but how can you relax when it hurts like hell?). So I recovered by myself I think, or maybe that was the time I went to the ER and got a muscle relaxant shot...ahhh, that was nice, actually relaxed the muscles...sleepy time.. :)

I have used the machine they have at the super Walmarts, it's like an exercise machine for your back, basically you sit there and then push back, but it isolates the movement so it's only your upper back muscles, not your lower back or hips, etc. That definetly helped alot, feels kinda wierd to have the muscle along side your spine be sore and hot from working out. It's call America's Back (www.americasback.com) if you are curious, if you read their promotional stuff it sounds very impressive, how it's helped all these very serious cases, etc.

Good Luck!

9. LongIsland60

LongIsland60

Someone told me this once... "Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash." Does that count?

(well, maybe he didn't say it to me, but I seen it)

10. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Topgun!

TY

11. ChuckB

ChuckB SILVER Star

"and you, you're lucky to be here!!!"

"if you screw up just this much :flipoff2: you'll be flying a cargo plane outta Hong Kong full of rubber dog s***"

12. drnls

drnls

Well - unfortunately there are plenty of crooks out there. I have several "colleagues" (loosely used) that I would like to have shipped off somewhere. Some where they learned that it takes exactly 32.325 visits to get that person well at a cost of $1500 but if you pay today with a credit card or post dated checks they take off xx.xx amount of dollars. This kind of crap really pisses me off. Then there are the "docs" who advertise first visit free crap - this doesn't bother me as much, they will always attract the freebie people and be stuck in that type of practice. In my office I always request 2 weeks of treatment time from the patient, if no change then we take a step back, re-evaluate or refer. If treatment is positive then we continue and reduce visits till they are well or placed on a as needed basis.

In CJ's case then surgery is not an option, it's a matter of strengthening what you have and learning to learn your limitations (unfortunately). Please note this strictly going off CJ's info and no way providing any medical advice or treatment (disclaimer crap). Nelson

13. trw

trw

Not that I know anything, and I'm sure not giving any sort of medical advice here, but there is no evidence that extra verts cause any pain or back problems. Every chiro says it when they see it, but its just not true and no real doc would tell you that. Partials will cause some issues along with a host of other things, but not extras. most everyday back pain is caused by muscles being tight and weak. strengthen your stomach and stretch your hams, you'd be surprised how much simple nightly stretching will help back pain. don't mean to be too harsh towards chiros, but I've had to deal with a lot of patients that were f'd by them. see a real doc first, have a real doc read your scans, then let the chiros help stretch you if you want to waste your$. but again, i know nothing outside of neurosurgery and offer no advice

14. Jman

Jman

I write checks by body can't cash all the time--but hey, I gotta try, don't I? :D How else you gonna know your limitations?

Concrete, by "60 year old man’s back" are you saying that you are 60 years old? If so, you're a fawking nutcase for trying something like that at your age!!! Rock on!!! :D

But no, I wouldn't do it--you're gonna get hurt. I did the herniated disc/surgery thing, it's not fun. If it's a real problem, but there is no outright injury yet, go to a physical therapist (get a referral from your doc) and get an exercise regimen specifially for your problem--it's amazing what proper exercises can do for you.

Have you tried Pilates? :rolleyes: :princess: :princess: :D

Good luck.

15. concretejungle

Jman, no i'm saying i'm 27 but my back feels like it's 60 years old!

TRW, i don't know what else to say other than i work out at least 4 days a week, properly. Saying that i mean i have been working out for years and reading great magazines on form and even worked with a few trainers. So i know my form is correct. I haven't been to the chiro in over 3 months but during that time i have concentrated on working my abs and lower back through crunches, back extensions and other "lower impact" exercises. Squats are out of the question. Even through all that my lower back aches when i sit for longer than 20 minutes. When training with carrying tires i could barely stand to sit because my back hurt so bad. I'm not sure what else to do. I also don't understand how you say that an extra wouldn't cause extra strain cause something sure as heck is causing my lower back only to ache.

16. trw

trw

Has it hurt since you were born? that's how long the extra verts been there and you developed with it such that all should be compensated for. There won't be any extra or unnatural stress since that is all your body knows. its something else. have a real doc read the scan. extra verts are pretty common as per cadaver studies. most are noticed during scans for other issues. developmental differences don't usually wait 20 some odd yrs to cause an issue. do you stretch as much as you lift? its a good rule of thumb. but like I said, i really don't know all that much

17. concretejungle

It hasn't hurts since i was born. Only started acheing after i started riding dirt bikes, which i don't anymore. I think you may be on to something cause i very rarely stretch. I know it's an integral part of weight training but usually after lifting i'm tired and ready to go eat so i skip the stretching.

The crew chief suggested trying to carry tires with a back brace on. Maybe with that, proper stretching and good erector muscle exercise i may be able to do it.

18. crushers

crushers post ho

you got one back, don't fawk with it...
    been there done that and regretted it to this day...

no amount of money can take away pain and give you back quality of life...
    sorry

19. trw

trw

anything's possible. without all the info in hand your plan sounds good, but I still strongly suggest you get the scan read by a competent doc to make sure there isn't something actually wrong. if there is you could do more damage, if there isn't then your holding back for no reason and wasting what sounds like a killer opportunity

20. drnls

drnls

Note - he had x-rays no mention of a scan. No mention of extremity pain - more than likely due to muscular/ligamentous sprain/strain. If your only 27 then you really need to step back and strengthen the involved area after allowing the inflammation to resolve. Too many variables without actually seeing x-rays regarding the "extra vertebra". Biomechanically speaking it is possible for the extra vertebra to initiate current complaint. Nelson