Ever get tired of wrenching on your 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After two radiator replacements (my 97, bro in law's 93), a front axle repack (97), then two back to back rear wheel bearing axle seal jobs (93/97), and a pair of oil changes planned for today (93/97 - finally on same mile schedule) I'm kinda wrenched out on the 80s. I'm kinda surprised actually, as I enjoy the diversion from my job.

I offered to do the rear bearings/axle seals on my bro in law's 290,000 93 and was looking forward to seeing what carnage was in there after zero maintenance. But I'm kinda tired of cleaning accumulated grease out of my hands, and kinda sick of looking out the garage door at sunny, beautiful weather so I'm not going to do his truck until it rains. I'm on strike. Anyone else get like this??

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
But I'm kinda tired of cleaning accumulated grease out of my hands, and kinda sick of looking out the garage door at sunny, beautiful weather so I'm not going to do his truck until it rains. I'm on strike. Anyone else get like this??DougM

I get that way from time to time, especially after having 6 of these b!tch3s. Every now and then you gotta hit the road or trail and get your payoff. Or buy something new for yourself to ease your suffering like a plasma cutter or mig welder. :grinpimp:

Yep-sometimes you need a break. After I finished my t-case rebuild and H55f install, I basically have not even touched the Cruisers with a wrench in my hands. It's great to ride home from work and just relax with some cold water and not have to work my "other job" in a hot garage. Today, I went out and lubed the driveshafts on the 80 to see if my Slee front shaft had a center zerk fitting-it does, so no need to grease with a needle. Now I'm going away for 2 weeks so no wrenching then. When I get back, it's time to install the Slee 4 inch spring set, and see if I really want to buy the new leading arms.

I remember last year getting sort of burnt out after I pulled the radiator on my FJ60 3 times in a week and finally just installed a new radiator, fan clutch and hoses so I could just forget about it.

The biggest help is having 3 trucks, two of which are suitable as a daily driver. No more than one goes down at a time! Then if I get burnt out on a project, I can let it sit for a few days without the pressure of having to complete a project to get to work. When I was installing my tranny, I got very frustrated one day, left it for 48 hours and came back fresh. That really helped.

Er, Doug-this feels like chat!

I guess I've been lucky that I haven't had to do too much in the way of HUGE jobs lately -- but I know the time's coming. I know the feeling though -- I used to do quite a bit of work on previous rigs...like a 1970 Bronco that I used to own -- I loved that truck, but just got tired of fixing things all the time. The 80's no where close to being like the bronco though...

Doug you need to mix it up like I do around here.

Repairs of the last 4 weeks=

Stripped and reshingled porch roof
Stripped and layed new flooring in porch
Rebuilt surge breaks on camper for Fridays trip
Rebuilt fresh water pump in said camper
Replaced fresh water fill check valve in camper, a lot harder than it sounds
Replaced fluid coupling on LC
rebuilt leaking filter pump on pool
repaired rear hitch receiver on camper
Just ordered new radiator for truck, going in tomorrow hopefully
and the bike rack needs some attention before Friday's trip

now throw in a standard 55 hour week of fixing machines for work and I'm a little fraid.

It's been a couple months since a major job for me. Stuff like putting on sliders and the ARB are just fun, not work, so I am ready for some grease.

Anybody in Houston need a birf job? Besides you Brett...you are on the "schedule".

Hey Jim, did I tell you Brett (HoustonFZJ80) needs a birf job? I really want to get into another birf.....the smell of brake cleaner and grease. The chance to drop some more parts washer fluid into Jim's diet Dr. Pepper. I can't wait :)

Yes, this is certainly chat.

Uh oh. Better add some tech stuff here. Rick, you sound just like me in terms of the stuff you'll tackle. You'd have spent several thousand dollars on those things and most of the camper stuff would not have been done correctly owing to its specialty-learn-as-you-go nature, ya know? You'd have basically paid for someone else to figure out how to carefully pull staples out of interior trim to access stuff without tearing it up, and likely they'd tear it up anyhow.

When you do your rad, find the tips on simply loosening the A/C condensor and using a deep socket and vice grips on the upper bolts. No headlight removal. The biggest hassle is removing the battery and tray. I used simple duct tape to hold the tranny lines up so they wouldn't dump, and a piece across their open ends so I wouldn't drop anything into them. Take the time with the grille off to soak the AC condensor with Simple Green and blast the fins clean before putting the grill back in - you'll improve the output.

Getting the shroud back down is a hassle until you notice the little clip that holds the tranny lines getting under it so it won't seat all the way down on that side (battery side). A bright light held on that spot for the minute it takes to overcome is a life saver...

DougM

Yeah, try doing all that 50-60 hours a week.

It is rare that I have much desire to work on my cruisers towards the end of the summer. Doing it more than full time kind of burns it out of your system.

My hands/fingernails haven't been genuinly clean in 2 months.

I've found that I am certainly no professional but just a hobbyist. :doh:

Last edited:
After a couple years of hypermaintenance & 80chondriasis, this summer I've chosen to forget about the little things and just drive the thing. I've still found time to get the rear driveshaft rebuilt, install rock lights, new control arms, some engine cooking... ok maybe I have still been working on the 80, but I try to tackle everything during the weeknights (don't have cable). I've wheeled more this year than the last two combined, clearly the highlight of ownership is driving, not wrenching, right? But I've also built some new deck steps in back, a new deck out front, new storm door, some ceiling fans, remodeled the baby room, been camping 4x, went to Moab... ah hell life is good. It's all about balance :) Too much of anything will get you burned out & turned off, that's why I'm not a gynecologist (sorry, bad joke :D )

I will try to suck it up and do my front axle again this winter though, even though I'm not mixing those grooves bug me.

SO happy to see I'm not alone .. ;)

TY - Exthasssporwaited

fdsa

My 80 is my DD, so I have to be real careful in making sure I finish whatever I start for the day/night. It would be nice to have a second car for DDing and make the 80 a project rig, but that hasn't happened yet. So I definitely get burnt out at times when something either takes longer than I'd like or if I just run out of steam and know I have to finish it. I don't do real major work on the truck, just regular check ups and and ons, but non the less, doug, I know what you're talking about.

-Sam-

Love working on this thing, but I find out that the more I tweeak with it, the more other things arise....see my recent posts about post-lift problems....

I guess I justify it by the fact that it keep me out of bars, out of my girlfriend's hair, and basically pondering life under the truck... :rolleyes:

After a rough several months at work I am taking the week off. I spent time on the 450 installing the Slee rear bumper. I also looked at the front drive shaft and figured out that the drive shaft shop balanced it in Phase :doh: Took it back to them and showed them the FSM showing it out of phase.

Then I turned to the FJ40 trying to grind the axl hub and brake pad to flatten them out from my tire falling off while I was driving episode.

I am considering the LX450 done for now and will get a replacement axle for th 40.

Now I have to do all the projects that have been piling up like tileing a bthroom floor, fixing the Garage door, cleaning out the basement, replace the Hot Water Heater, etc.

Romer said:
After a rough several months at work I am taking the week off. I spent time on the 450 installing the Slee rear bumper. I also looked at the front drive shaft and figured out that the drive shaft shop balanced it in Phase :doh: Took it back to them and showed them the FSM showing it out of phase.

Then I turned to the FJ40 trying to grind the axl hub and brake pad to flatten them out from my tire falling off while I was driving episode.

I am considering the LX450 done for now and will get a replacement axle for th 40.

Now I have to do all the projects that have been piling up like tileing a bthroom floor, fixing the Garage door, cleaning out the basement, replace the Hot Water Heater, etc.

haven't you trained Rachel to help you with all this stuff? :)
Didn't this new truck come with strings attached? sheesh.... what kind of father are you? :D

tarbe said:
Hey Jim, did I tell you Brett (HoustonFZJ80) needs a birf job? I really want to get into another birf.....the smell of brake cleaner and grease. The chance to drop some more parts washer fluid into Jim's diet Dr. Pepper. I can't wait :)

As long as you let me hit your finger again with the hammer, you can spill parts solvent in my DP. :flipoff2:

I was thinking I might take a break from spending all this money on my Cruiser buildup and plan a fall vacation for the family. Then I found myself salivating over in-dash DVD nav systems this morning. It never ends. :grinpimp:

e9999 said:
haven't you trained Rachel to help you with all this stuff? :)
Didn't this new truck come with strings attached? sheesh.... what kind of father are you? :D

Why do you think we call her princess? I did have her help me change the oil in her runner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom