even cheaper front hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After coming back from the local hitch shop with a quote for $450.00 for them to build a front hitch for my 91, I decided to do it myself. I looked at the other threads here what other people had done. I then got out my tape measure and went to work.

I started with an unwanted rear hitch from an 80 series cruiser, this was pretty easy to find and was fairly inexpensive to purchase, I cut the mounting tabs off, ground the welds off the plate to free the stubs that were left after cutting the plates off.

I then had to cut the plates down to fit the front frame rails, about 3/8" after the 2nd bolt hole.

I bolted the plates up to the front using the captive nuts where the tiedowns are, only bolt up one plate, then slide the cut off receiver through and then bolt up the second plate. Now, center the receiver between the two plates and weld the receiver to the plates. I then cut off the excess that extended beyond the plates.

All total, I have about 4 hours and less than $50.00 into my front hitch. I intend to use this with a bike rack and not as a recovery point.
front hitch old rear hitch.jpg
front hitch plate cutoff.jpg
front hitch complete_mud.jpg

very nice.
I think that if you would put in inserts of sorts inside the tube to bridge the new welds that this thing would be plenty strong for moderate recovery.

mmmm... I have an extra Draw tite too.... I wonder if it would clear an ARB... :)

In the second photo, after I cut the flanges off, I ground out the welds and removed the cut off piece from the flange so the hitch could slide back through the flanges on the truck, the square tube is one piece across the two flanges in the end. I think it would be strong enough for recovery
front hitch plate bolted.jpg

In the second photo, after I cut the flanges off, I ground out the welds and removed the cut off piece from the flange so the hitch could slide back through the flanges on the truck, the square tube is one piece across the two flanges in the end. I think it would be strong enough for recovery

excellent!
it looked like you had done a butt weld (poor reading of mine) but this is much mo' betta indeed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom