Evap Cannister Throwing Codes with 24 gal LRA tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm taking my '13 LC in on Thursday to have the tank dropped and Evap cannister looked at. I've searched the forums, and have copied and pasted relevant items and pics into a Word doc to give the shop some guidance (they are Toyota experts, but I've got the only highly modified LC in the area, more than likely).

Any additional advice that you think is appropriate to pass on to the shop manager would be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'm taking my '13 LC in on Thursday to have the tank dropped and Evap cannister looked at. I've searched the forums, and have copied and pasted relevant items and pics into a Word doc to give the shop some guidance (they are Toyota experts, but I've got the only highly modified LC in the area, more than likely).

Any additional advice that you think is appropriate to pass on to the shop manager would be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I'm of no help here but keenly interested in your outcome as I am about to order the LRA kit. Would love to see your compilation of forum info on these tanks. Please post it.

We would appreciate a call to discuss with you and your shop tech.

Ward Harris
Long Range America, LLC
209-636-0831
Always nice to see mod OEM jump right in on posts like this.

@Scylth , sorry to hear and I hope you get it sorted.

A number have seem to report some common issues with the fuel system. Some potentially coincidental with the LRA tank, other times not.

As vehicles age, getting trouble code for the evap system is not uncommon for any vehicle.

1) The often cited Moab CEL or CELs that seem to occur with longer crawl sessions over larger elevation changes is one even for those without an LRA subtank.
2) CELs that show up for a gas cap that's not properly sealed or tightened
3) Overfilled tanks causing flooding of the charcoal canister
4) Worn or clogged charcoal canisters on older vehicles

I'm trying to understand all the common permutations of this as I've seen CELs on a couple occasions. One definitely was from #3, as the main tank through the LRA filler neck sometimes is troublesome to fill with specific pumps that keep clicking off. I've overfilled before which caused CELs that had to be reset - either by pulling battery or OBD-II tool. I have a convenient wireless OBDLink LX BT tool that I use with my android phone with CarScanner app that makes this easy to troubleshoot and resolve.

Another occasion, I believe I've experienced #1 and had a random Moab CEL. This one was a PITA as I was on an overlanding trip way in the middle of nowhere and it locked me into 4Lo from the previous days journey before we setup camp. Fortunately, that's the mode I needed for the next days 30 miles off-road too. Found a main off-road trail where I finally pulled the battery for a couple minutes to reset the CELs and that got me back in action without another CEL since.

I'm trying to figure out if #4 could be an issue or contributing issue as it is prevalent on other cars and makes. Could it be a contributor to our issues? And is the LRA setup, with its vented plumbing from the charcoal also exacerbating that?

Would love to hear back from you or Ward as you learn things.

Last edited:
@wardharris , I'll try calling you at 1 pm ET, thanks for offering to help, and thanks for being willing to talk to my shop.

@kcjaz , overall, I've been satisfied with the LRA. The biggest quirk is that the main tank fill port/tube/connections result in easily tripping the pressure differential sensor in most gas station pumps, so I have to hold it manually at a slow flow rate. Auxillary tank port fills no problem. Someone has likely come up with a solution here, but I haven't spent any time on a fix.

@TeCKis300 , thanks for the write up, and I'm guilty of:

1) Did MOAB last year with my kids, and on the way back to east TN, first had the 4LO light start flashing, and it flashed for a couple hours, then went away. But it came back a month later, and has stayed on. I've been lazy and done nothing with it. But, I went rock crawling last weekend, and without the ability to get into 4LO, made we aware that I need to fix this now.

2) I think I get a good seal, but will clean and inspect surfaces tonight, and see if that works (that would be awesome if does, as I'm budgeting $2k to drop the tank, inspect/repair/replace the evap cannister, check filter, check plumbing, buy whatever new hardware is needed to reinstall, then reinstall)

3) I have likely done this. I'd like to say I'll be more careful, but with having to manually fill the main tank, and auto fill the aux tank, I'm likely to not have a "process" that I consistently do.

4) We'll see what the shop says on the charcoal filter being clogged.

I just had this issue, my charcoal container was full of water. No idea how that happened they replaced and we will see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom