European part number for 15" or 16" tubeless rims equivalent to US 42601-60072?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FRQ

Threads
I'd really like to get a set of steel wheels for my J60, 15" or 16" with the clips to mount hubcaps. In the US these can still be ordered new, part number 42601-60072, but they don't show up in the European catalogue.

All I can find is 42601F and 42601R, which are the split rims. Should I be looking at different model Land Cruiser part numbers or are they simply unavailable? If I'm not mistaken, when new, some J40 variants came with the 16" version with clips in Europe, but no luck so far finding actual part numbers. :grumpy:

Years ago (maybe 4) there was a thread where someone bought 16" tubeless rims with hubcap clips new from Toyota in Europe. It was a member from Germany or Belgium.... can't recall the name though, sorry for the lack of help.

Years ago (maybe 4) there was a thread where someone bought 16" tubeless rims with hubcap clips new from Toyota in Europe. It was a member from Germany or Belgium.... can't recall the name though, sorry for the lack of help.

I actually found that thread! After some googling, I stumbled across a French forum where a member had one of these wheels with the Toyota parts number sticker still on it. Once I had that, I found most of what I needed to know quite quickly. There is still some confusion though.

jante 16' avec agraffe pour enjoliveur et pour pneu tubeless - "TLC SERIE-4 FRANCE"

For posterity's sake:

US 15" 5.5J with hubcap clips: 42601-60072
EU 16" 5.5J with hubcap clips: 42601-60040

Those are confirmed. It gets a bit tricky looking at the Toyota parts catalogue though, which shows some variants:

Disc wheel & wheel cap for Toyota Land Cruiser BJ40RV - Auto parts

ToyoDIY.com

The biggest question remaining however, is whether or not the EU 16" have the safety bead for tubeless. I suspect there's a good chance they don't, so these would really only be interesting for something looking to step up to 16". That being said, a member on the French forum claims they are tubeless according to the specs from Toyota.

If you just want hubcaps and you're in Europe, your best (and expensive) bet is to install a set of clips on stock 15" split rims, near the bottom of the page:

Toyota BJ / FJ 40 mecanica

Hubcaps are readily available with these part numbers:

42621-60010 Front hub cap
42621-60020 Rear hub cap

I hope this saves a few people in Europe some time.

Last edited:
FIgured I'd update this, got word from my local Toyota dealer, 42601-60040 is NLA. Since I'm in Belgium, where Toyota's European distribution centre is located, I assume this is the case for all of Europe.

Back to square one. :mad:

No, never were. The only option I have heard of is installing clips on a 16" wheel yourself. There is at least one vendor in the Hot Rod world that sells the clips. I saw this in a previous thread on this topic a few years ago.

I've seen some references to VW or Porsche 356 clips, but suspect those will be too small. We have a 356, some beetles and T1 vans sitting in our warehouse, I'll be taking a peek under some hubcaps next week.

In terms of availability, I've since received word from Toyota France, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Amayama: NLA

Guess it's official now. I'm kind of fed up with pouring over the Toyota EPC, but my next step will be looking for the non clip, 1-piece variant part numbers and spending way too much money on a handful of clips from that Portuguese vendor I mentioned earlier.

I'd be fine with 15" as well, but in terms of future tire choices, 16" seems like the way to go. As long as I can run tubeless on steelies I'm happy. If I had known all this before I started, I would've learned to love my stock HJ61 wheels by now! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom