Builds Euro 1HD-FT Turbo Diesel/H151F 5 Speed Manual LHD 96' USA Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They are right around 2350 I believe. 60mph is dead on at 2200 rpm. Not sure if it would be different with an auto since I don't know what the factory OD 4th is. The 1HD-FT also probably makes torque lower down in the rpm range compared to the 1FZ

I am running also 2350 @65mph. 285/75r16 old tires. George installed in the transfer case the two kits TTPTK80 (part time) and HF2AOD-CB 10% over drive. The vehicle is a 93 with a 1HDFT&H151.

Wow, you guys with the manual really do need the rpm reduction. We're running 315s/1hdft/A442F and at 64-65mph (gps) the 80 sits just a hair over 2000 rpms.

Yup. The 5th gear sucks in the H150/151 tranny.

The new h152 has a significantly better ratio.
And I believe that marks or someone now offers a better 5th gear ratio but of course that requires rebuilding the entire box.

This is what I'm seeing too when my torque converter actually locks up. That damn wholesale automatics tranny is the worst.

Wierd. I'm loving my Wholesale trans... it has worked flawlessly for 40,000 miles now.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Just finished the 80 conversion that I mentioned a few pages ago. In January I was done with the drivetrain and put 12K miles on the vehicle while building the 'camper' part in the back. By early June I finished and took it on a 8K miles trip to Alaska from the SF bay Area. I wrote a blog with the details if anyone is interested... Got about 8 offers on the road to buy the vehicle. I figured $300K should cover my time. Parts would be free. It drove like a dream. I had two screws come loose on the AC condenser which I fixed in 2 minutes. With the boxes on the roof I got 21 mpg average.

That was a super cool blog - thanks for sharing/inspiring...

@Rock40 and @CycloSteve wow what a read all 39 pages!! great info for me as I start my own journey with this. I am not sure my plan will even work but I have Yanmar marine 6LP engine which is a 1HD-ft base engine. my biggest hurtle will be getting parts ( understand there will be others but I feel ok dealing with them), manifolds, air pips etc. I priced a bunch of new stuff form partsouq and a lot of what I need seem to be available and for around $1500 . if I could ask a question, did you guys find and used part availability in north america? I know they use a lot of these in the mines in BC and I saw @70sguy seemed to have some things if he could let me know that would be great.

anyway fantastic build and thanks for all the hard work posting and sharing your knowledge

Yeah, sourcing stuff in NA is pretty tough and if it’s there, it’s probably in Canada. I did buy a good used radiator from @70sguy and a few other small odds and ends

Yeah, sourcing stuff in NA is pretty tough and if it’s there, it’s probably in Canada. I did buy a good used radiator from @70sguy and a few other small odds and ends

I’m out of radiators but I’ve still got lots of other misc helpful diesel swap stuff, fuel line sets, fuel tank pick ups, filter tower/primer pumps, diesel tachs etc.

I’m out of radiators but I’ve still got lots of other misc helpful diesel swap stuff, fuel line sets, fuel tank pick ups, filter tower/primer pumps, diesel tachs etc.
Awesome when I really get going on this I'll be in touch if that's okay

Hey guys, did any of you installed a PDI intercooler on the 1HDFT?
I just spent Saturday fitting the pipes in the engine bay. They have done an amazing job routing them. I am still have to see about the performance. Have not driven it yet, but the engine starts ok. :)
Had to cut away the center part of the lower apron because of interference between the intercooler and the 4x4Labs bumper.

IMG_0754.JPG
IMG_0758.JPG
IMG_0757.JPG

Hey guys, did any of you installed a PDI intercooler on the 1HDFT?
I just spent Saturday fitting the pipes in the engine bay. They have done an amazing job routing them. I am still have to see about the performance. Have not driven it yet, but the engine starts ok. :)
Had to cut away the center part of the lower apron because of interference between the intercooler and the 4x4Labs bumper.

I've installed it on the FT, they did do a great job routing the pipes. I'm wrapping up the PDI airbox now and have a small issue with the turbo inlets and turbo coolant pipes. What market is your FT from?

Edit: Man... you engine bay is clean. Love it... want to help me clean up my wiring:)

@ofer bruhis I have this exact setup in my 77 series photo in my sig, can't say enough good things about the PDI kit, in the narrow nose 70 series it was especially a tight fit, but they made the best of the space available and all considered was not too bad. The biggest issue I had was interference with the auto trans kickdown and ac idle up assembly that was on the side of the IP. With the 24v batteries, there was not enough room to fit the charge pipe and I had to remove that assembly. Not a big deal for me since its a manual and the AC operation is not affected by the lack of the idle up. The performance is great, I rarely see EGTs over 1000, combined with higher flow air box and 3" exhaust it really taps into the full potential of the 1HDFT

I've installed it on the FT, they did do a great job routing the pipes. I'm wrapping up the PDI airbox now and have a small issue with the turbo inlets and turbo coolant pipes. What market is your FT from?

Edit: Man... you engine bay is clean. Love it... want to help me clean up my wiring:)

The engine came from Belgium. It was on the vehicle that marked the waypoints for the Paris Dakar race. It was modified too much that could not be registered, so they took it apart and sold the parts. I bought it from a place in Ozark, who bought it from Joe Katana in TX. The photo of the doner vehicle and the full conversion photos are in this album:

At work, we build joysticks for military drones. You should see the wiring inside... :)

@ofer bruhis I have this exact setup in my 77 series photo in my sig, can't say enough good things about the PDI kit, in the narrow nose 70 series it was especially a tight fit, but they made the best of the space available and all considered was not too bad. The biggest issue I had was interference with the auto trans kickdown and ac idle up assembly that was on the side of the IP. With the 24v batteries, there was not enough room to fit the charge pipe and I had to remove that assembly. Not a big deal for me since its a manual and the AC operation is not affected by the lack of the idle up. The performance is great, I rarely see EGTs over 1000, combined with higher flow air box and 3" exhaust it really taps into the full potential of the 1HDFT

I installed a 3" stainless exhaust from

With shipping it costs less then buying/making one here in the USA. And the engine just sounds great. I modified the flange to the turbo with a V clamp, so with one bolt I can take it off.

IMG_8021.JPG

I installed a 3" stainless exhaust from

With shipping it costs less then buying/making one here in the USA. And the engine just sounds great. I modified the flange to the turbo with a V clamp, so with one bolt I can take it off.

What is the size of the dump pipe on that system, 3"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom