Builds Euro 1HD-FT Turbo Diesel/H151F 5 Speed Manual LHD 96' USA Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished everything that I can on the truck...thus it is heading up to the new Valley Hybrids shop on Monday.

Picked up these beauties today at the DMV as icing on the cake.

full

Pretty sweet man, surprised that wasn't claimed already

Had to get the HDJ80 plate for the 80 after my wife got me the HDJ45 plate as a birthday gift for my LPB; was one of the 7500 original reproduction order takers to bring back the black plates. Had to wait two years to get the 45, and only two months for the 80.

full

Steve, any idea or estimate from George about how long with the drivetrain swap will take? I'm guessing those guys are pretty efficient at it....

No fixed deadline yet, though I need the truck back in early May. The following still remain:

• Replacement of all seals/spares on motor - have complete rebuild kit plus water pump, thermostat, motor mounts, fan, etc.
  • Replacement of BEB's
  • Replacement of oil pan (is at shop)
  • Paint block
  • Paint/powdercoat valve cover?
  • Refurb of transmission - kit ordered
  • New 1/2" Stainless Steel Fuel Line from Tank to IP
  • Installation of motor into chassis
  • Conversion of IPOR belly pan for the H151F - cut and move center 70mm forward
  • Install of GTurbo and intercooler bits in engine compartment
  • Fabrication / Installation of 3" stainless exhaust - straight inside-rail with 3030XL muffler
  • Custom AC lines to fit 1HD-FT pump
  • Installation of oil separator catch-can
  • Re-tube drive shafts - shorter front, longer rear
  • Final fitment of shifter/console to transmission tunnel
  • Final wiring/termination of sensors on motor - water, oil, turbo boost, starter, etc.
  • Lengthen alternator wires - use 130A alternator from FZJ
  • All fluids
All of the interior work is done, and all wiring conversion have been tested.

Valley Hybrids is in the middle of moving shop, so the move and reorganizing things definitely is dominating their time. Will know more in the next week once the dust has settled.

AAA tow for 96.5 miles today...now the truck is at the new Valley Hybrids shop, and in the hands of Georg and Dom. Looking forward to the next phase of the conversion for sure.

The funniest part of the morning was the tow truck driver asking if I could put the truck into neutral; several minutes after my explaining that the engine, transmission and t-case were out. My response was "It is always in neutral at this point."

Going...

full

...Going...

full

...Gone

full

CRUISE CONTROL IS NOW WORKING THANKS TO VITALY AND TOR AT TORFAB!!
HDJ81 CC motor and cables:
IMG_2314.JPG

The cruise turned out to be quite a bit simpler than expected. I swapped to a HDJ81 CC motor and cables but otherwise the rest of the components are from the FZJ80. Un-pin this wire here at the CC computer:
1HD-FT CRUISE CONTROL WIRING.jpg

And a pic under the dash at the CC computer and the un-pinned wire:
IMG_2410.JPG
The black/white wire gets a signal from a the Neutral Safety Switch which lets the computer know whether or not the cruise can be engaged. The computer has to believe that the transmission is in "Drive" or "Overdrive". By un-pinning the black/white wire, the computer is receiving the correct signal and all the CC functions work correctly. In the future I'm going to route this through a clutch switch so that the CC is turned off when the clutch is depressed.

Hope this helps others that are going down the same path here...

Haven't read the whole thread yet but so far it's looking like a great thread! Nice work, I will be adding this to the FAQ.

Haven't read the whole thread yet but so far it's looking like a great thread! Nice work, I will be adding this to the FAQ.
Great and thanks :) it took the help and input of many others to get this far.

Ross-

I unplugged (Pin 2 B-W) from my CC computer (like above) on my 1994 this afternoon and my CC now works. So, that means this method also works on earlier trucks. Thank you for sharing this.

Ross-

Ross-

I unplugged (Pin 2 B-W) from my CC computer (like above) on my 1994 this afternoon and my CC now works. So, that means this method also works on earlier trucks. Thank you for sharing this.

Ross-
Nice! And you've been driving around for years without the cruise right?

Excellent work Ross! I will be unplugging my CC Pin 2 too.

Here a are a few shots from Dom at VH...motor cleaned up and painted in 1800 degree POR-15. Should be mated to the trans and t-case next week and fitted to the truck.

full

full

I finished my swap in -09 (IIRC?) and haven't had CC since. Talk about rigor mortise of the leg on road trips. Oh my gosh.

I do notice that the HDJ81 and the 91-92 CC actuators (are they the same possibly?) are a bit less "responsive" than the FZ actuators. They work and that is what is important. I am happy as a clam that I have it and it works. My CC actuator is off of an 91-92 FJ80.

H-A-P-P-Y.

Looking good Steve, and nice job Ross. Either of you going to Cruise Moab this year? If so, I will keep an eye out for you. :)

Ross-

Steve, those pics should be titled "some assembly required" ;) Looks good.

Ross, I wish I could do Cruise Moab this year, that'd be awesome. I was in Moab in Sept/2014 (with the FJ40) and I'd love to go back. I'm committed to an Alcan Alaska trip starting in June though so that is going to be the big trip in the 80 this year. Should be about 5k or so miles up and back from the Seattle area to Fairbanks and Anchorage. Camping the whole way of course with the M416 and the RTT :D

Added one of these today to correct the speedometer error...
IMG_2421.JPG
I tried to order one from Slee but he apparently no longer carries them as he reported the 100 series trucks had some reliability issues running them. He confirmed however that they work great in the 80 series so I ordered one direct from Marks4WD. Fully "plug and play" after I extended the harness so it could reach into the cab where I want the computer to mount. No cutting of factory wires and it was very easy to dial this in (by percentage correction) so that the speedometer now reads spot on. Highly recommended if you've got speedo calibration issues

A few pics from Dom today as the motor is going back together.

Pristine BEB's. Mileage on this motor completely unknown, but these look new.

full

Timing gears back on. Water pump surface a bit rough.

full

Cover cleaned up nicely.

full

I think my 45 hiding in the background is jealous that the 80 is getting it's motor and has to wait for the second one to be put together. Plenty of shiny new bits and pieces being bolted on today at Valley Hybrids. :grinpimp:

full

Two steps forwards, and one back.

Dom was able to grind the third unnecessary tab on the Sequoia 150A Alternator so that it will work on the 1HD-FT... :cool:

full

...Only to then find out that the AC Compressor and Clutch assembly that I ordered several years ago from CruiserParts.Net has the wrong electric AC Clutch. No bueno. Will either have to get a different one from Partsouq, and/or pilfer from my other motor for now...:bang:

full

...Finally the valve cover is ready to be painted. Will be going silver to match the Safari crossover plumbing....:)

full

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom