Ethanol in fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have experience with running fuel that contains Ethanol... pros/cons?? I was making my way home from PA this week, and stopped at gas station in Ohio that was saleing gas at $2.46/gal. Didn't no what the deal was, until I notice a sticker on the pump that indicated "Fuel contains 10% Ethanol". Anyways, got 17.5 mpg which is about 1.5 mpg better than I'm used to on the highway.

:beer:
Rookie2

Everyone here likes it because it is made from corn. That is something we have a large abundance of. I run it through my FJ80 like I drink water. It seems to like it. Everything in the fuel system is clean, and it gets just under 20 MPG on it. I got 10 MPG on it hauling the 40 through hills and wind.

I heard some harvard or some crap report that it isnt all that efficient to manufacture, but Ive heard lots of others that go against that. Ive never heard anything negative about its burning properties, or its reliability in vehicles. Always good things on that end.

Years ago there was a problem with using it outboard engines. Said it was destroying some of the rubber parts/hoses. Don't know if they ever had that problem with automotive engines.

fuel

Hey Jim I believe you need ethanol if you run used fryer oil in the diesel trucks to keep it from going to gel in the tank

ethanol

i work for a oil company that is farmer owned.we have been selling 10%ethanol for many years.no problems at all.it burns cleaner.we also sell 85%ethanol but only certain newer vehicles can burn that blend.it is about 30 or 40 cents a gallon cheaper than gasoline.ethanol is cheaper to buy than gasoline so you are probably getting a ethanol blend in regular gasoline and dont know it.they dont have to label it if it is less than 10% blend ethanol.help support pur farmers and less arabs i say!!!! :beer:

When I lived in MN I ran it in my '91 Toy pick-up all the time with no issues. 130,000 when a deer took the truck out. I always got a kick out of the people who wouldn't put ethanol in their cars, but then would go into the gas station and pick up a bottle of heat to dry their fuel lines in the winter (heat is some type of alcohol - don't see it in OK, so I've forgotton what kind).

There were stories about it drying up rubber in the system way back when they first started it - I haven't heard any horror stories in years though.

I'm from an oil family, and ethanol does have different rate of burn characteristics of course. There are varying reports here and there but it was my understanding is that it does degrade the engine over time, however only minimally so and therefor it's debatable to if the $/gallon delta makes up the difference in wear.

It also supposedly works much better in EFI and computer-controlled fuel induction systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom