Ethanol blended fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting today, most counties in Western Oregon (including mine)have switched to a 10% ethanol blended fuel, and by April 15, it will be phased in statewide. I have read a few articles and have a general understanding of what to expect, but don't know how much of the information I have read will apply to me and my 1988 FJ62. I also know that there are a number of states that have already made this switch, and many of you have already been using this fuel for sometime in your rigs. So, figured I'd get some first hand testimonials.

I know that it will burn colder, and it has been suggested to turn up the timing to try and compensate for the colder combustion temp. How far should I adjust the base timing to run on 87 octane? Any issues with water content? I have considered installing a water seperating filter, but there isn't an abundance of spare room to mount something like that, and if it isn't neccessary, may be more hassle than it's worth. TIA, and if there is anything else relevant I may not be thinking of, please share. This will be my first experience with blended fuels. :steer:

Do a google search for the energy density of ethanol and gasoline. Interesting.

I don't think water would be much of a concern, the ethanol acts as a natural water "binder" (not sure what would be a proper word, but up here it is touted as natural gas line antifreeze).
For what its worth, I avoid ethanol blended when I can.

There is no avoiding it, unless I fill up out of state, or for the next few months, on the other side of the mountain. Unfortunately, that's not very viable.

True that. My home province just brought in the 10% ethanol law, luckily I am in oil-rich Alberta for school, so I think we are still 100% old algae out here.

mine runs better on 15% ethanol than pure fossil. maybe thats just mine

having a choice, i would always fill with E-10. higher octane, helps with water in system.

I'm kinda worried too... the ethanol will eventually knock all the crud loose and its going to go straight into the fuel system. I'm expecting to at least have to change my fuel filter here shortly if not more.

mine runs better on 15% ethanol than pure fossil. maybe thats just mine

its just yours...:flipoff2:

my 60 doesnt like the stuff in her. its been here in texas for some time now. the ethanol causes you to use more fuel as it isnt as combustiable as regular gasoline

My cruiser ran like crap on ethanol. I only tried one tank and that will be the last one unless there is no other option.

I cant tell any difference in mine on it or pure fossil fuel

greetings from california,

california has been running 10% ethanol in all of its fuel for some time now. i haven't noticed any ill effects in the way my cruiser runs since they made the switch from whatever it was they used to use; (something called MTBE if i remember correctly.) that's not to say that your particular cruiser may not exhibit some driveability problems, but mine doesn't seem to mind.

i belong to a board similar to this for mercedes benz vehicles and some people on that board swear that their older benzes have been suffering driveability problems since the introduction of ethanol. again though, both of my older benzes seem to run just fine.

FWIW, check out this link to a great National Geographic article on ethanol; probably one of the best articles i've yet read on all of the ins and outs of ethanol.

Green Dreams - National Geographic Magazine

greetings from california,

california has been running 10% ethanol in all of its fuel for some time now. i haven't noticed any ill effects in the way my cruiser runs since they made the switch from whatever it was they used to use; (something called MTBE if i remember correctly.) that's not to say that your particular cruiser may not exhibit some driveability problems, but mine doesn't seem to mind.

When MTBE was being used by Chevron / Shell / etc. as an oxygenator, 76 stations were using ethanol instead. Since MTBE was outlawed (2+ years ago?) all gas in California now uses ethnol in its place.

I have run 76 gas for about 10yrs. and have experienced no problems.

we've had E10 fuel here for a fair while. Two things I can tell you... 1) Dont leave it sitting in your tank, its like methanol and turns to white jelly formation that eats anything it comes into contact with. 2) Step up a heat range in plug if you have no other choice and compensate with timing by 2 degrees. (advance )This is what I have found works on the cruisers I have been involved with.

oregon has been using " oxygenated fuel" in the winter in the major metro areas for years , portland medford salem eugene , my guess every where on the I-5 coridoor. have had issues with Arco brand,pinging, they are always the cheapest gas prices in oregon so it is always tempting to pull in and fill up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom