Estimate for engine swap??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 with blown engine and I have found a complete used engine for $2200 with 70 k miles. My mechanic is saying it will take 18 hours to do the swap and charge me $1600. Does this sound about right or little high?

thanks

Mark

Time wise it appears a little low. Cost wise, it's about $89 an hour. There's a lot not being said, like whether you're getting anything "extra". New engine gets "free" oil? Gaskets, antifreeze, tuning after start up? Too open ended for my tastes. Very easy to add on another $500-1000 for incidentals that are an unknown now but become a big factor later. Radiator condition? Motor mounts? Starter and alternator? Cooling system hoses & clamps. Many of these things are the difference between a good job and a poor job, or as I've learned, good money wasted on good intentions but poor results because I was "money wise and pound foolish".

What state are you in? I had a guy to (believe it or not) pull mine AND put it back in after my rebuild for 350!!!!!! The next closest was 1500!! Its a tough job.

Maybe discuss things that should be done while the replacement engine is on the engine stand, like replace the PHH, relocated EGR VSV, clean throttle body, reseal oil pump cover, replace front and rear crank seals, reseal valve cover, reseal main oil pan, being careful with the engine harness from getting too close to the EGR pipe, only use Toyota Red anti-freeze,----. You could save the old engine for usable parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom