Esoteric Wheel Center Cap Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
Forgive me for asking this in the TECH section, but it seems like the best place to get an answer and I'm all about looking good ;)

Does anyone know an over the counter spray paint for matching the OEM color for the LX450 center caps?
Not interested in anything other than a factory look.

jonheld asking a question instead of answering one has got to be a sign of the apocalypse or something.

the suck zone sells a spray called ford argent silver I've used in the past that is pretty close you might want to see if that works I don't have a sample of it to show you but it's real close to what you're looking for

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

Last edited:
I used Duplicolor's Classic Silver Mica they claim is a Toyota silver code. A little too bright for a true match to the wheel, but I am satisfied. I never like the gold inlay so skipped it.

image.jpg

I used Duplicolor's Classic Silver Mica they claim is a Toyota silver code. A little too bright for a true match to the wheel, but I am satisfied. I never like the gold inlay so skipped it.
That looks pretty sharp. I may go that route. A little bit light prep and it should be quick and easy.

I may have to hand paint the gold inlay ;)

There is a post, in FAQ I think, that has an extensive write up on refinishing center caps. I did mine probably 3 years ago and still looking solid.

IMG_4563.JPG

My PO lost them all in all the previous wrecks.......... Now the chrome is almost all peeled off........

I don't know if mine were chrome or silver.

Pictures please....

I'll go snap a picture of one right now, be back in 10 minutes.

I did mine about 5 yrs. ago now, so they won't be as good looking as back then, but I'd say they've held up pretty well considering they are in the Texas sun all the time.

Edit: OK will try this later, my photobucket is screwed up! Something about Adobe Flash Player, Jeeeez!

Center Cap.jpg

Last edited:
jonheld,

Sorry for the delay in getting the picture posted. Photobucket still not working for me. Found a way to post it here using the site as the host.

As previously stated, the cap pictured was done about 5 years ago, so not as fresh looking as when first done, but you can get an idea of the color.

I stripped the caps (glass bead blasted them), then used a plastic adhesion promoter, then sprayed on the base color (silver). Let it cure overnight. Used a gold spray paint (sprayed into the cap) so I could dip a small artists paint brush into it let it drip into the grooves of the Toyota emblem and the circle.

Once that had dried, I sprayed two coats of satin clear coat on it.

And while we are in the tire/wheel/center cap area.....IF you have the factory aluminum wheels the easiest way I have found to clean them (without scrubbing) is to use Oven Cleaner (yes oven cleaner) on them. Just spray it on (don't get it all over the tire) and wait about 2-3 minutes (no more) then rinse off with a water hose and spray nozzle. Instant clean!

It won't take off road tar........ but oil, dirt, brake fluid, brake dust, road grime....GONE!

jonheld,

Sorry for the delay in getting the picture posted. Photobucket still not working for me. Found a way to post it here using the site as the host.

As previously stated, the cap pictured was done about 5 years ago, so not as fresh looking as when first done, but you can get an idea of the color.

I stripped the caps (glass bead blasted them), then used a plastic adhesion promoter, then sprayed on the base color (silver). Let it cure overnight. Used a gold spray paint (sprayed into the cap) so I could dip a small artists paint brush into it let it drip into the grooves of the Toyota emblem and the circle.

Once that had dried, I sprayed two coats of satin clear coat on it.

And while we are in the tire/wheel/center cap area.....IF you have the factory aluminum wheels the easiest way I have found to clean them (without scrubbing) is to use Oven Cleaner (yes oven cleaner) on them. Just spray it on (don't get it all over the tire) and wait about 2-3 minutes (no more) then rinse off with a water hose and spray nozzle. Instant clean!

It won't take off road tar........ but oil, dirt, brake fluid, brake dust, road grime....GONE!

This should be in FAQ!

Jon

I did similar to flintknapper and used a cheapy HF hand held blaster to strip them and did silver over all. Masked and trimmed along outer ring lip with fresh blade and blacked out the ctr

Tip. For gold inlay i picked up a gold paint pen at lowes/depot and went to the sombrero and ring heavy

Double tip: it wicks over the edge a bit so go around twice, Each time on opposing edges. Works great, nice n even.

Mine are all black and silver but i did my brothers and another members back to OE as well

(Will keep looking for pic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom