Erratic idle, no power in gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1998 100 series. Engine starts fine then immediately starts to decrease rpms until just about to die, then increases rpm’s and start that cycle over. When I press gas it either does nothing or dies. In gear there is no power and pressing gas causes the engine to die. Replaced mass air flow. Replaced ECU. I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

my 1st guess was the MAF. Next i would look at the sensors attached to the throttle body. but look for codes first of course

Originally it threw a P0171 System too lean Bank 1 and a P0100 Mass Air Flow Circuit. When I replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor I cleared the codes. After I cleared the codes I drove it once with no returning code. It was then parked for a few days and started the erratic idle on my next attempt to drive it.

Dig around with the last thing you messed with - check for a vacuum line or harness connector you missed reconnecting. Pull the + on the battery for a few minutes to let the ECU reset.

Thank you for the advice. Missing a connection is always a possibility. I gave a quick look last night and didnt see anything. I have reset the ECU. Actually based on a friend having an issue that was slightly similar with his lexus LX470, where he ended up installing a new ECU, I installed a new ECU, thinking that might be the problem. It did not fix it.

Plug in your favorite OBD dongle and fire up your favorite app to view the MAF volume, Coolant Temperature, Incoming Air Temperature and Throttle Position sensors. I suspect the values of one of those sensors is either 'pegged out' or remaining at 0.

Plug in your favorite OBD dongle and fire up your favorite app to view the MAF volume, Coolant Temperature, Incoming Air Temperature and Throttle Position sensors. I suspect the values of one of those sensors is either 'pegged out' or remaining at 0.
Will a broken Engine Coolant Temperature sensor cause bad idle or bad acceleration?

yes

With a broken Engine Coolant Temperature sensor, my LC would idle ok (in Park gear), and I could, very slowly, increase rpm up to 3, 4, 5 thousand rpm and it would hold steady. But, if I applied a "normal" rate of acceleration (still in Park gear) it would sputter and die. This makes ZERO sense to me, but when I replaced the ECT sensor, my LC functioned normally- no issues at all. My engine problem is fixed, but I don't understand why a malfunctioning temperature sensor would render a Land Cruiser inoperable, and potentially stuck somewhere out in the boonies. While it can prevent a driver from inadvertently overheating his/her vehicle during normal use, this seems a very poor design feature for a vehicle designed for overlanding and cross-continent travel. Anyone know the motive behind this feature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom