Errant plug and license plate bracket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud Mind!

Two quick questions after becoming a new owner of an '89 FJ62 (and longtime owner of an '84 FJ45 Troopy):

1) Anyone know what the plug in the picture (attached) is? Sits on the right-hand side of the engine bay (standing outside the truck looking at the engine bay) approx. above the left front tire. No malfunctioning systems in the truck and no clear reciprocal dangling plug. I'm sure one of you knows what this is. Please share;

2) I replaced nearly all of the interior and exterior lights with either OEM parts and/or LED bulbs. I'm now lit up like a happy vintage Christmas tree with the exception of the two small lights above the rear license plate which won't light up despite various curses/pleas and some mediocre attempts at problem solving. The unit is brand-new OEM and before I start tracing the wire all the way back, I wondered if there is some 60 series trick I don't know about. If so, please LMK.

That's it - thanks!

Engine_plug.jpg

The license plate lights ground through the bulb socket which grounds to the holder which grounds to the tailgate which should have a little ground wire going to the body near the hinge.
You’d think that the tailgate hinges would ground to the body- but apparently not always.
My guess is you have an inadequate ground. You can test this theory by running a ground wire the the bulb holder and see what happens.

All 60 series cruisers have a few orphaned plugs that never connected to anything (in the USA). The wiring harness is World Spec and our friends in other parts of the world got different accessories than USA. Likely that plug is for one of them.

The plug is for your headlight washer reservoir pump.
Optional so as many other OEM gadgets.

The license plate lights ground through the bulb socket which grounds to the holder which grounds to the tailgate which should have a little ground wire going to the body near the hinge.
You’d think that the tailgate hinges would ground to the body- but apparently not always.
My guess is you have an inadequate ground. You can test this theory by running a ground wire the the bulb holder and see what happens.

All 60 series cruisers have a few orphaned plugs that never connected to anything (in the USA). The wiring harness is World Spec and our friends in other parts of the world got different accessories than USA. Likely that plug is for one of them.
Thanks! Will check that out tomorrow a.m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom