Eric 1 - Clunk 0 ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
sure enough, greased the driveshafts and U-joints and the big clunk somewhere up front seems to have disappeared. That was a noticeable clunk when stopping and/or taking off.
Yea!
thanks for the earlier discussions on this, folks!
Scary how much grease I had to put in there to fill'em up... Must have been some serious binding somewhere in there...
E

Funny you say that. On Friday I picked mine up from the 90k service which in part included greasing drive shafts and UJ's. No mo clunk. Now if I can beat my other nemisis.....high rpm start up.

Guy's, Not to rain on your party but many of us have had the same success only to see the "clunk" come back fairly quickly after a good greasin.

Vince

From what I understand, you should just put a few pumps into the driveshaft, you should NOT fill it, reason is, the grease is not able to escape quickly enough when the driveshaft is compressed, making it put tremendous pressure on the output of the transfer case, which can cause vibration or destroy the output shaft seal (or somehtin' like that) This is just info I have gleaned from previous disscusion on this message board, makes sense to me, so I only put a few pumps in whe I service it. U joints should be fine with as much grease as you want to put through it.

I'm sure that's right about it possibly coming back. We'll see how long, though. I don't mind greasin' that sucker up every 2 or 3 months...

I stopped pumping it in when the shaft started to move, which seems to be the consensus on how to do it IIRC.

E

I've heard the same thing that Ben said... the risk of too much pressure from too much grease in there is worse than the clunk itself. But I've been known to pump some grease in mine too, enough to splat out and burn on the muffler. :)

One thing you could try Eric is to remove one side of the driveshaft, then pump that thing super full of grease... then remove the grease zirk and shove the driveshaft together, thus forcing all the extra grease out the zirk fitting hole. After you work it in and out a few times it should feel like it slides a little easier, and maybe your clunk will stay away a little longer.. hth -tim

Dropping one end of the drive shaft, pulling it totally apart, and then applying grease directly to the splines is the most effective way to get the grease where it needs to be. The zerk fitting is just a teaser.

Rich

Eric, if you work your shaft in and out a few times and it DOESN'T slide easier, your clap WON't stay away very long. Just ask Junk's Mom.

:) sorry, couldn't resist, long day... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom