Epic FJ43 TCase explosion. Good time to upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.exiom.com
In search of a new TCase for this FJ43 I just got from Columbia. Pulling out of the driveway today and this happened
20210506_094322.jpg

Guess the shop that built the crossmember down there to accommodate the swapped in 4spd didn't think to bolt the Tcase to it, and I didn't catch that when I looked it over. Anyways...should I go with a replacement 40 case or what's the better option to keep the length about the same?

If that happened pulling out of the driveway, I think the initial damage had already been done

Go ORION :bounce:

Somewhat common failure point on these. I was rebuilding mine and found the start of a crack (maybe 1-2” long) right in the same area your gave way.

how do you use your 43? Do you take it out for icecream, cruise dirt roads, wheel it or all the above?

All of the above. Lots of ice cream trips and 5 min drives to my office but will be hitting some local North FL trails with are flat with some mud

Can anyone chime in on a parts list for a 60 TCase?

-AA TCASE MOUNT
-Drill out FJ40 driveshaft flanges for the larger bolts on the 60 case?
-60 case is 19 spline? So need to adapt to the 16 spline on the 4spd?

you can not use a later split case transfer on your transmission.
what is the crossmember for? in stock form it wouldn't have one

you could go with a stock replacement and use a transfer case saver
you could go with an orion

What’s interesting to note is that it looks like a ‘one-way-street’ replacement case with the oversized idler shaft. So, it’s not the first time the powertrain suffered trauma.

And since there is permatex smeared around the front nosecone (which would have been sealed on a replacement unit) it’s likely that the replacement case was serviced, albeit not well.

I would want to see answers to @3_puppies questions before offering advice.

Crossmember is bolted to the frame, and not very well. Looks like it was put there to support the TCase

Crossmember is bolted to the frame, and not very well. Looks like it was put there to support the TCase

in stock form, there is no need for that crossmember,
are there mounts on the bellhousing? what shape are they in?

how long have you owned it?
who did you get it from?
how was it represented?

how about some more pics of other areas mentioned above?

I have a Toyota replacement 34MM idler, single-piece case that should bolt right up. Just had it rebuilt and ended up going with dual cases for my crawler. It may be the same case you have right now. @65swb45, does that seem to be the same?

What year is the 43? Is there any type of round tube behind the transfer case? Stock there is one but it a torque tube and not used to support any part of the drive train. Depending on the year of the cruiser there are clearance issue with the longer four speed. Some markets got a got one piece transfer case behind a three speed up 10/82. Some of those had the 34MM idler gear. Possible was used as a replace for an earlier transfer case. A production date would help with answers.

Last edited:
I think that I see SAE grade 5 hardware on the nosecone.

How is that rear leaf spring, it looks broken, but it could just be the photo?

i love all the random bolts and RTV holding the nosecone on. Classic

I think that I see SAE grade 5 hardware on the nosecone.

How is that rear leaf spring, it looks broken, but it could just be the photo?

Does it also look like JB Weld on the by nosecone? Believe all mid wheel base had a sway bar on the rear axle. I can see the 1/79 skid plate for the gas tank. That frame setup would work with an H55F if the hand brake was on the rear axle.

Hey guys. Returning after a 'Mud hiatus with a '71 FJ43. Had a resto in Columbia and will be arriving at my place next week. I'm in North FL, so the wheeling is kinda lame but will be DD it and the kids can learn to drive a manual. Would appreciate suggestions as it comes together. Pics below.

Current Plans:
4" Alcan Springs (+150# front, 300# rear) + thinking Bilstein 5100's
35x10.50R16 SSR's on 16x7 black Daytona Wheels (US Wheel, custom 2.5"BS)
Metal Tech Cage
Aqualu Half Doors

-Erik

View attachment 2639511View attachment 2639512View attachment 2639513View attachment 2639514

Few pictures of the exterior in this post. If this was a FJ40 would be regretting my purchase. Mid wheel base FJ43 would be looking at sorting everything out. With the color and just on my phone hard to tell which A pillar seam is at the bottom. Up to 1/79 at the bottom of the door the seam was back a few inches. 1/79+ seam goes straight down but so does the flange. Fuel tank under the body started 1/79. That crossmember may be because of a later tub on a 71 frame? Import and has a clear title would just correct everything and keep it. All the planned mods mentioned in the post would be put on the back burner for now

I didn’t read all comments but that being from SA. What tranny was in it. Don’t lose any parts from that tcase. The SA cruisers mixed and matched the t-cases. I could have the gears of a 3spd tcase or a 4 sod tcase. They mixed and matched the combos down there. Especially on the input gear that’s where you will notice the first difference.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Been out of pocket for a couple days.

mounts on the bellhousing? what shape are they in? ... pics below

how long have you owned it? Was delivered a few weeks ago.
who did you get it from? Bought it from a guy in Miami who lives part of the year in Columbia. Did a rough inspection via zoom
how was it represented? Was represented as a partial resto in great shape. The guy has been very helpful. He took it to his upholstery shop and had the interior changed to black for me...color was the ugly bright peach when it came over. He said he drove it for a few hundred miles and didn't have any issues. replaced the alt and changed fluids when it got here. Said a reputable shop in SA worked on it. Obviously we have different definitions of reputable.

Here are some addl pics. Title says '71, not sure if a body swap was done
20210507_174421.jpg
20210507_174357.jpg
20210507_174730.jpg
20210507_174745.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom