1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Environment damage/birding

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by stinkyfj60, Jul 28, 2005.

1. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

There was an article in the local paper here about how the BLM lands dont really have a rule where you have to stay on designated roads. I guess if you want to blaze a trail, legally you can. They are trying to work out a new law/rule to close that down because of all the new roads popping up around wetlands.

What was most interesting is that most of the damage isnt done by "off roaders" or even ATVs... most of the trails are blazed by people out bird watching.

2. chuglife

chuglife

you can be damn sure they'll blame 4x4's and atv's though

3. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

I think one environmental group tried, but the local 4x4 Club plus BLM officers were there to explain that it was birders... which completely shocked me that the paper the paper printed the complete story...

4. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    stinky,

that sounds like a Rush L. story, can you post the source?

oops to late, you posted while i was typing. what paper was that?

5. Jman

Jman

Those birders are like pirahna. When we were driving through New Brunswick last week we kept encountering them all over the place (they even had roadside stands built for them to view the birds from????). One woman at a gas station asked me if we were up to view the birds (there was some sort of sand piper migration going on or something). I felt like telling her the only way I'd watch a flock of birds migrate overhead would be if, in their drive to push themselves to the limit, they became cannibals. It'd be pretty cool to see them divebomb each other and have the sky overhead turned into a red mist. . . . . :D

6. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

http://www.alamosanews.com/main.php?story_id=7057&page=23

That should be the article. I was wrong though, the enviromental group admitted it was birders. The interesting thing is that most of the BLM land here is on the Valley floor and around wetlands so it doesnt attract as many offroaders as forest service land.
    There is an exception to the rule though where there are BIG boulders people play on because of that rule that you can blaze a trail. But the local 4x4 group asked the BLM for permission and help in creating a little play ground.

7. wob

wob

I'm a birder.
    However, I like to watch large flocks of them at the end of my gun barrel. :D