Entertainment system troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to assess the state of the entertainment system components in our 2003 LC we just picked up. There are some things I can't figure out, either because they're not working properly or I just don't understand how to use them. Everything is original at this point.

1) Miraculously, the 6-cd/dvd player in the armrest will still play dvds. But, I can't get it to play a music cd, which seems very strange. I've tried switching the slots around. The system can tell there's a disc there and attempts to read it, but just eventually says "DISK CHECK". I tried with several different original music cds. Works for all dvds and no music cds, which makes no sense to me.

2) Though the dvd will play on the front navigation screen, I can't figure out how to make it play on the rear screen. Is this possible or am I just not figuring it out? When I use the Display button during DVD play, I can see a "REAR OFF" button, but no "REAR ON" button (should there be one?). Pushing the OFF button lights up the button, but otherwise doesn't do anything. The fact that I see this button leads me to believe this player should be connected to the rear video screen. I downloaded the Navigation manual which discusses everything about cd & dvd play, but nothing about this REAR button or the rear screen.

3) So... about the rear screen. The DVD player in the cargo area is still connected to the rear screen and both have power. The player will try to read a dvd, and the screen changes from "NO DISK" to "UNKNOWN MEDIA". It's likely just worn out. Also, is it possible that since the rear DVD player is connected to the rear screen that the front player is no longer (or never was) connected to the rear screen? This would explain #2 above.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting the above items? It would be nice to get them resolved and just keep them as-is, especially the rear video for the kids. But if I can't,...

4) Suggestions for replacing/subbing the rear player? Wondering if a cheap non-oem one would still work with the video screen. Remote is also missing, so I'd need to deal with that in the mix.

5) Lastly, assuming I can't get any of this original equipment to work properly, any recommendations for swapping out the front cd/dvd player for something with bluetooth and a usb port?

Thanks for reading all of that!

I'm trying to assess the state of the entertainment system components in our 2003 LC we just picked up. There are some things I can't figure out, either because they're not working properly or I just don't understand how to use them. Everything is original at this point.

1) Miraculously, the 6-cd/dvd player in the armrest will still play dvds. But, I can't get it to play a music cd, which seems very strange. I've tried switching the slots around. The system can tell there's a disc there and attempts to read it, but just eventually says "DISK CHECK". I tried with several different original music cds. Works for all dvds and no music cds, which makes no sense to me.

2) Though the dvd will play on the front navigation screen, I can't figure out how to make it play on the rear screen. Is this possible or am I just not figuring it out? When I use the Display button during DVD play, I can see a "REAR OFF" button, but no "REAR ON" button (should there be one?). Pushing the OFF button lights up the button, but otherwise doesn't do anything. The fact that I see this button leads me to believe this player should be connected to the rear video screen. I downloaded the Navigation manual which discusses everything about cd & dvd play, but nothing about this REAR button or the rear screen.

3) So... about the rear screen. The DVD player in the cargo area is still connected to the rear screen and both have power. The player will try to read a dvd, and the screen changes from "NO DISK" to "UNKNOWN MEDIA". It's likely just worn out. Also, is it possible that since the rear DVD player is connected to the rear screen that the front player is no longer (or never was) connected to the rear screen? This would explain #2 above.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting the above items? It would be nice to get them resolved and just keep them as-is, especially the rear video for the kids. But if I can't,...

4) Suggestions for replacing/subbing the rear player? Wondering if a cheap non-oem one would still work with the video screen. Remote is also missing, so I'd need to deal with that in the mix.

5) Lastly, assuming I can't get any of this original equipment to work properly, any recommendations for swapping out the front cd/dvd player for something with bluetooth and a usb port?

Thanks for reading all of that!
1) I believe that there are two different lasers used to read CDs and DVDs, your issue might be a dead CD laser. I also recall the Toyota/Lexus system being a little temperamental with "home burned" music CDs.

2) I believe that all of the rear DVD players that were installed into the 100 series (in the US) were "port installed" and not integrated into the front audio/video system, beyond maybe a FM transmitter to pump the DVD audio over a preset FM radio station.

3) Again, probably a dead laser diode. Never was.

4) I believe that the port/dealer installed kit has long since been discontinued. You might be able to find a stereo/electronics shop to repair/replace the laser diode, but you'd probably be better off using an inexpensive tablet or portable DVD player.

5) Grom, USA Spec & VAIStech all offer relatively inexpensive add-ons that allow for Bluetooth streaming. Grom also offers their VLine2 product that offers more modern features.

1) I believe that there are two different lasers used to read CDs and DVDs, your issue might be a dead CD laser. I also recall the Toyota/Lexus system being a little temperamental with "home burned" music CDs.

2) I believe that all of the rear DVD players that were installed into the 100 series (in the US) were "port installed" and not integrated into the front audio/video system, beyond maybe a FM transmitter to pump the DVD audio over a preset FM radio station.

3) Again, probably a dead laser diode. Never was.

4) I believe that the port/dealer installed kit has long since been discontinued. You might be able to find a stereo/electronics shop to repair/replace the laser diode, but you'd probably be better off using an inexpensive tablet or portable DVD player.

5) Grom, USA Spec & VAIStech all offer relatively inexpensive add-ons that allow for Bluetooth streaming. Grom also offers their VLine2 product that offers more modern features.
Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful response. I think, unless there's an easy way to rewire the rear screen to the working front player (like it sounds like some models had), then yeah, it makes sense to just abandon all of it and we'll look into the Bluetooth options you recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom