enquiring mind wants to know!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
Okay, I had been contemplating a set of ARB air lockers at tax time, but at 1800.00 plus the install time I decided to look into other alternatives. I have found Aussie lockers for about 500.00 for the pair, this would leave me with enough to put in a set of 4.56 gears and redo the front end (birf swap). I may also be able to get the materials to build my sliders.
n
Now hear is what the mind wants to know.

1) Would the Aussies so drastically effect it that I may not want to drive it daily.

2) If I drive it daily would I tear up anything?

3) What would the effects be on gas mileage with and without gears?

4) Would upgading the birfs to longfields be worth it with this mod?

5) With these mods and a OME 2.5 heavy lift would I really need a winch for more than pulling others out?

My rear end has a Locrite in it. I dont notice it. Ever. Well.....I do when I stomp on it on the trail, but never one the road.

I have 4.88's and 33's. I get a little above 10mpg. I dont really drive all that fast, or far for that matter. I actually think if I went farther between starting and shutting off it would be better. I anticipate 12-14 highway.

I want a winch, not for pulling others out, but for pulling my big heavy ass out when im stuck.

I don't know anything about Aussie lockers except they are a mud sponser. :D Now as far as longfields go I don't think its necessary unless you are going to an extreme lift and very large tires. If you don't wheel really extreme stuff its doubtful with proper maintenance your ever gonna break a stock birf. For what I mean take a look at actionjacksons site.

I would hesitate to put a aussie or other gear input locker in the front end. I can envision some serious drive line and transfer case issues with this approach. Maybe I am just a sissie but it seems to me putting it in the rear only is a good option.
Dave

Personally, I wouldn't run auto lockers in an 80 as a daily driver. I have a set in my mini-truck and use it on occasion as a daily driver. I find that even with just the rear one to deal with, it can be annoying. Turning corners from a stop (especially uphill) and tight turns in parking lots tend to bring out the shortcomings of any auto locker. Increased tire wear is another downside. In the mini, I put up with it because I was trying to keep the build up costs low and knew that it would be my primary daily driver. Also, wet, snowy or ice covered roads could be very exciting in a full time 4x4 with auto lockers.

If it were me, I would spend a little more and get an ARB for just the rear. A 80 with just a rear locker is a very capable rig.

Bob

If you do the ARB, then then the gear setup labor will be greatly reduced and you'll have the front end apart anyway...

Winch? You don't need one till you need one and then you really need one. Which reminds me I gotta list up my M12k and X9 lol.

well te aussie site does say do not use it in the front axel of a full time four wheel drive vehicle, so I would have to put in lock outs. That price is rising but I still think it might be cheaper, but that reduces my winter driving greatness that I was hoping for in this rig. Maybe just an ARB in the front would be the way to go.

No one has commented to much about gas mileage. do the lockers hurt it?

1) Would the Aussies so drastically effect it that I may not want to drive it daily.

Aussie in the front will suck and be close to dangerous. ARB or open

2) If I drive it daily would I tear up anything?

NO

3) What would the effects be on gas mileage with and without gears?

Higher gears lower mileage; gotta pay to play

4) Would upgading the birfs to longfields be worth it with this mod?

Yes and no. Yes you might need them and it is not a bad idea but 80s are not known for breaking them,

5) With these mods and a OME 2.5 heavy lift would I really need a winch for more than pulling others out?

This is a classic stupid question. Have you wheeled your truck stock? Why heavy? Why not Js?

dd113 said:

This is a classic stupid question.

I guess somebody had to say it :eek:

peebles24 said:
I depends.

Really...I don't know how else to answer that question. I don't know how you wheel. I don't know where you wheel. I don't know if you wheel with a group or by yourself. I don't know how stuck you can get yourself.

I have the lift you describe but don't have a winch (yet). Does that help?

I'm sorry I didn;t find # 5 to be such a stupid ?, I wheel at the Badlands in Attica, IN. I have heard J springs terminology used alot but what exactly are they as far as lift goes and making the alignment correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom