Engine won't shut off unless headlights are turned off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 'restored' 1973 FJ40 that I bought while I was living in Costa Rica. Drove it for about 8 months, then I turned it over to a local restoration guy who had it for about a year. I moved back just before it was completed, and I had it sent to me in the US. Arrive this past fall. I'm mostly happy with the results, but there have been some residual issues with how it was reassembled that I have had to deal with. The wiring is all new, but I have a gremlin.

Symptoms:
It will start fine, but the headlights are on with ignition and operating the light switch does not turn them off.
When I turn the key to shut off the ignition with the lights off, the engine shuts off
When I turn the key off with the lights on, the engine will not shut off
When I push the headlight switch to "off', it kills the engine.
If I pull the "Turn" fuse, the engine dies. The Lights fuse does not kill the engine

Efforts to track down the issue:
  1. Replaced the headlight switch
  2. Replaced the ignition relay
  3. Removed a USB charger in the Cigarette lighter circuit (something I read on another forum, had to try it).
  4. Tried unplugging the turn signals from the harness to see if it shuts down the engine- it doesn't
  5. Tested the fuses as mentioned above
I'm not handy when it comes to electrical. I saw on another thread someone mentioning "backfeeding the alternator", which would make sense - how do I test?

Start at your ignition switch and trace the wiring. It sounds like it's running through your light switch or you have a short.

Recommendation above is solid. Also, there was another thread with almost this same issue. Try searching for it. IIRC it was likely due to the ignition wiring or replacement ignition switch with a flipped wire.

Maybe that’s an SA trick to help prevent leaving the lights on when the motor is shut off and draining the battery 😝.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom