Engine won’t idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That carburetor has some booty fab going on. Looks like an 81/newer with the extended throttle shaft for the A/C compensator. Also the accelerator pump arm linkage has been modified, and not for the better. Same with the link for the choke step up rod.

Where in California are you?
I am in Valencia CA .... there is no AC, maybe there was at some point ...yep, this engine is a mix bag of parts. Starter / Ballast Resistor were original, alternator from a GMC ... Carb and attaching instruments from your assessment have some issues. I just looked you up on the Web, maybe I should return the carb i ordered and have you do a rebuild? But maybe it needs more than that done ?

Last edited:
I am in Valencia CA .... there is no AC, maybe there was at some point ...yep, this engine is a mix bag of parts. Starter / Ballast Resistor were original, alternator from a GMC ... Carb and attaching instruments from your assessment have some issues. I just looked you up on the Web, maybe I should return the carb i ordered and have you do a rebuild? But maybe it needs more than that done ?

I'd give Mark a call and schedule an appointment... trek over there and let him give you the rundown.

I'd give Mark a call and schedule an appointment... trek over there and let him give you the rundown.
. By the looks of his website - he is a guru. The issue is that my FJ40 isn’t running / idling to a degree to drive it 25 miles on one of the most crowded freeways in Southern California to get to his shop. Just trying to figure out how to proceed and not accumulate additional costs or do procedures that need to be redone later ?

Mark is a good guy, he will get it sorted for you👍

Checking in ‘78 to see if you figured out what was up with your 40...?

I’m having the same issues - dies at idle, runs with choke - ironically on the way to my new mechanic to give her a check up (since I just recently acquired my ‘82 40). We’re thinking it’s got crud that needs to be cleaned out, perhaps sticking the float valve. He tweaked the throttle a bit and messed with some of the desmog apparatus (something with a butterfly - sorry, still learning what’s what) and we got it to idle fine. I drove it home and will be bringing it back next week to do take off the desmog to help it breathe better and do a clean out/poke around to see if there are other issues. Solenoid was fine. It’s interesting to see there are other similar threads with this problem.

While this is my first “issue” with my 40, I’m sure there will be more to come. I look forward to learning more about the 2F and seeking safe advice from this forum.

(oh, and we’re also going to give it a 2” OME while we’re at it...think the current springs resemble the West Texas horizon)

Checking in ‘78 to see if you figured out what was up with your 40...?

I’m having the same issues - dies at idle, runs with choke - ironically on the way to my new mechanic to give her a check up (since I just recently acquired my ‘82 40). We’re thinking it’s got crud that needs to be cleaned out, perhaps sticking the float valve. He tweaked the throttle a bit and messed with some of the desmog apparatus (something with a butterfly - sorry, still learning what’s what) and we got it to idle fine. I drove it home and will be bringing it back next week to do take off the desmog to help it breathe better and do a clean out/poke around to see if there are other issues. Solenoid was fine. It’s interesting to see there are other similar threads with this problem.

While this is my first “issue” with my 40, I’m sure there will be more to come. I look forward to learning more about the 2F and seeking safe advice from this forum.

(oh, and we’re also going to give it a 2” OME while we’re at it...think the current springs resemble the West Texas horizon)
Hey there - my issue did get resolved, I had a bad wire going to the silonoid. So whenever I hit a bump, the wire would move and the rig would stallSo after I replaced the wire, it resolved the problem. I have had one issue after another, usually one fix means two more problems. But it has been fun learning it. I have done some work myself .... I have a YouTube channel chronicling the project

my mechanic told me the leaf springs need to be replaced as well... but I did replace the shocks and that helped the ride quite a bit !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom