Engine won't idle right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys
I was hoping to get some guidance on an issue I'm having. My 1987 fj60 won't idle. A little back story is I bought it at an auction wrecked and the previous owner had partially disassembled the front end and had several vacuum lines off along with the air filter housing. I can't seem to find online a good photo of what goes where. Since Ive had it I have repaired the accident damage, repainted, and put everything back together. I also rebuilt the carb. Just got everything done and road worthy last week and I've driven it about 20 miles. I had it running pretty good but with a slight miss I think. I was driving yesterday and completely lost the idle, it just sputters out when I come to a stop or let off the gas. My question is do I have the vacuum lines right and what else do I look for? I should mention that I cleaned the gas tank and replaced the filter. Filter still looks pretty clean.

20210131_134052.jpg

20210131_134025.jpg

A big vacuum leak often prevents idling.
126E5C1F-9CCC-42C1-8448-59EF9930B7A6.jpeg

Maybe you disturbed some trash in the tank or lines and it's blocking the screen at the needle and valve seat at the carb. If you disconnect the fuel line from the carb can you see if any trash is in there? Run some fuel into a mason jar from the disconnected line to see if it's clean.

Make sure the fuel cut solenoid on the carb is working. Verify this by turning the key to the start position and listening for a single click at the carb. Usually its a bad connection at the green plug/connector. Non functional fuel cut solenoid will cause stalling and starting issues and some hesitation while driving.

Thanks guys I'll try that. Also just ordered all new vacuum hoses from boostcontroller.com

Verify that the vacuum hoses going to the distributor outer vacuum actuators haven't been switched. That wouldn't cause an idling issue though.

The pcv hose is a common problem for a big leak as is the hose to the brake booster.

Does anyone have a good photo of the vacuum routing on the passenger side? That diagram is very hard to follow on the right side.

There is this one for the dizzy VCV :

dissy-VCV-vacuum-diagram.png

and the 2 vacuum advancer ports on the dizzy, make sure your main diaphragm hose VTV is not backwards and follow the piping around to the passenger side of the carb:

1612150722200.png

and there is the line that goes to the (edit) hot idle compensator valve under the air cleaner:

1612150897419.png

Can't think of any other vacuum lines on that side.

Last edited:
here are some more resources for the vacuum tubing.

Attachments

• vacuum piping.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
Thanks for all the help guys! Turns out the screws must have fallen out of the little filter on the backside of what I circled in the photo. What is this?

20210131_134056.jpg

That is just a breather filter inside the air cleaner.
Do make sure there's no random parts in the air cleaner poised to get sucked to the carb.

Recheck the vacuum hose routing against the FSM, as at least 2 hoses to carb air horn are routed wrong.

Which appear to be wrong? I interpreted the diagrams best I could and the hoses looked correct but didn't have the cross T like mine has.

I see that now. By the length of the hoses I wonder if it has been like that for quite some time. Good catch, it took a minute of staring at the photo to see that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom