1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine whine in stereo getting me ANGRY

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by 94landcruiser, Aug 14, 2006.

1. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

I have done all the "stereo" related checks and mods with no success. Is there an "80" series fix I am missing?

I have tried in line (RCA) filters, beefier grounds both to the head unit and external amp, resistors on the plug wires and still I have motor whine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Grench

Grench SILVER Star

You probably put an RF filter on the power to the stereo itself...? Did you put one on each of the amplifiers? They're hidden throughout the vehicle. I heard once from a stereo store guy that there were 5 of them. He was stating them as a reason I couldn't just get a deck but had to go with a $5K 'system'. I walked away. I'm not sure if he was telling the truth or not about the amps being there. I'm certain I can build a stereo into my truck for far far less than $5K though.

3. pulse98

pulse98

There are a couple types of RCA filters, were the RCA filters that you used "ground loop isolators"?

Is the noise related to engine speed?

www.autosound2000.com David Navone is THE industry guru for solving car audio noises. They WILL be able to trouble shoot your noise. Since they have so many noise solutions, it will be bset for you to call them to get their advice.

4. firetruck41

firetruck41

He lied, there is only one amp that I am aware of, it is located behind the right hand side dash speaker. Edit: Oops, I think there is an amp in the rear PS quarter panel to power the sub woofer on LCs which have the rear subwoofer.

I have "whine" as well, it gets worse when the lights are on. I triead a filter thing on the power wire, and messing with the ground from the stereo, the frustrating thing is that I used a metra amp integration harness with all the same connections as stock, so the grounds are all the same as stock, etc. aaargh! Now I want to try to bypass the amp, but can't find the connector (supposedly in the stock wire harness in the dash somewhere) to power the speakers from the headunit.

5. pulse98

pulse98

Yeah, that is alternator noise. When then headlights are on you are making the alternator work harder, thus more noise.

The noise can be coming into your headunit from at least two places, the RCAs and the antenna (www.autosound2000.com sells an antenna isolator) and it sounds like you already bought a RCA isolator.

Your best bet without wasting too much time is to call the noise gurus at the above link.

6. PKP80

PKP80

IMO it is either a ground issue, or how/where you ran your wires i.e. if you have your rca and pwr wires close to each other you will get engine noise. I rec that all wires be separated with the plastic protection tubing run through the truck. good luck

7. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

Head unit is a Kenwood KDC X890, internal amp is switchable and off. There is a filter connected to each RCA output from the HU. (3)

I have a Tsunami 1100 75x4 channel amp running two sets of Infinity Perfect 6.1's and a Kenwood 1000 watt (bridged) amp running the subs.

The power/ground cables are seperated from the RCAs and speaker wires and all are encased in the corrugated plastic protection.

Thanks for the input and website.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  8. CJF

CJF

Sounds like this noob knows what he's talkin' about. :cheers:

Pulse (or anyone else),

Is it true that the (stock) little cylinder on the back of the alt is there purely for stereo noise reduction?? Someone told me that once...

Curtis

9. 619TOY

619TOY

I think its that module you disconnected in your kick panel. Just kidding. First you should see if you have noise without any RCA's plugged into the 4 channel amp.

10. 80jay

80jay

On my 91fj i had a noise supressor on the alternator itself I belive that it had gone bad dont know if your model has it though.

11. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

I'd live with it to lose the key alarm. I moved the ground from the HU to the battery that I added and put it between the Power Steering fluid reservoir and the intake and (in my garage) the noise is gone. Well see after my next trip.

12. CJF

CJF

Exactly. When I replaced my alt, the new one didn't have the suppressor; had to make sure to use the one from the old alt. So that's really what it is, huh?

Curtis
    91FJ80

13. BPMOU

BPMOU

I had a similar issue on my 80 when I installed my Alpine unit. if you are mounting the radio into the metal surrond with the pocket below, then the metal to metal contact with the frame and the ground is causing the whine. I was able to use plastic washers where I screwed radio frame into the larger frame and it got rid of the whine. It has come back once before and I just pulled it and re-tightened them.

14. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

Thanks BPMOU That is a great idea, hopefully it won't be necessary as I just delved into the dash and would like to leave it alone, of course if I have to I'll do it.

15. BPMOU

BPMOU

One other thing, you might need to wrap the screw for the frame with electrical tape. I know that it sounds jerry rigged, but you won't see it and it worked for me.

16. pulse98

pulse98

If you connect an ipod or portable cd player powered by its own internal batteries (not cigarette lighter), does the alternator whine go away?

17. GeoRoss

GeoRoss

Don't forget ingnition related RF interference. Bad wires, dist., cap or rotor can cause RF interference. Even incorrectly connected wires can lead to arcing that will result in RF interference.

Ross

18. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

It is gone! Moving the ground, from HU to neg battery to under the Steering fluid reservoir did it. Only issue is the only decent size cable I had was red. O,well guess my anal retentive side will have to put up with it.

[​IMG]

Need more of that plastic protection stuff. WTF is it called?

:D

19. CodyRx7

CodyRx7

20. 619TOY

619TOY

Most commonly referred to as split loom or corrugated tubing. You can find it at most parts stores or perhaps your local stereo shop.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">