engine weight : HD-T ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

denis

(O) toyota nut (O)
Threads
Anyone has a precise idea how much a 1HD-T engine weighs ?
I'm trying to find how good of a boat anchor it would make, in an amphibious cruiser :grinpimp:

Thanks,

I'm not sure .. but a lots :D for sure .. !

More than my 2H .. maybe. I don't know the exact number, but I thought mine 2H more than 600 lbs ..

OK thanks guys that's pretty much what I thought it could be. Finding a good balance is going to be fun :D I'll post more if anything gets done ;)

bye,

Installing it into yours, Denis? I have heard of a German installing one of those into an LJ70. I didn't know they can fit into the engine compartment. I haven't seen pictures of it, he keeps promising to send me the pics ;p

Dave

I don't have the coin unfortunately, but the building is what I'm having fun with, and this is what I may get, short of owning the cruiser itself :D

Now for my own projects I think I could squeeze about 180hp out of a 2L-T, so I wouldn't bother with the aforementioned boat anchor ;p

it would be to his advantage to use the front clip from the HD version on his LJ. this will give him the needed clearence for the 6 cyl engine as well as the proper rad support. he will need the 2 front clip mounts to be installed. it will be interesteing to see what springs he will be using to support the extra weight. i measured the HDJ81 springs (which are the same aprt number as the 79 series spring) and they are 6" longer than the LJ70 spring setup. from the front to the back the mounts for the bodies are the same bolt pattern and the tubs are interchangable. the coil spring mounting is quite different beteen the 2 frames (of course) but i can see it working quite easily. if he uses the parts form a HZJ then it should be close to a straight bolt in.
i was looking into this over the last year but then realised that the HDT would make the little LJ nose heavy and by the time you are all done you have basicly a HZJ70 with a coil supension. so either do up a HDJ81 if you want the ride or the HZJ70 if you want the short wheel base...
just my midmorning ramblings...

Denis,
you posted your response while i was writing mine. i was actually responding to the post by Dave dealing with the German and the LJ70...
cheers

OK so you need to type faster :flipoff2:

I also think the big toyota 6cyl. are somewhat oversized for the SWBs, even the factory HZJ70 feels weird on the paper...

Don't look now but someone is shoehorning a 1HDT into a BJ74 as we speak. ;) Ever seen a scalded ape run?

Dave

denis said:
OK so you need to type faster :flipoff2:

I also think the big toyota 6cyl. are somewhat oversized for the SWBs, even the factory HZJ70 feels weird on the paper...

The real thing feels... mmm ok:cheers::D

denis said:
How far does the engine sit ontop of the front axle ?
Would you happen to have some weight bias numbers ?

:cheers:

Mines in a 73 but it has the same engine bay/axle position as all J7 HD.
I bolted the gearbox to the crossmeMber,lowered the engine and welded the new mounts.
It sits in the same positon as the 3F.
I dont have any weight bias figures but they have been putting 6 cyl diesels and gassers in SWB since 1985 and its a proven combo.
Off the top of my head I would say that number 1 and 2 cyls are forward of the axle,or maybe #2 sits over the axle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom