Engine vacuum switch damaged --- Pic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently purchase a LX and just realized that I have some damaged wires.
It looks like the wire has been cut off from a possible Vacuum Switching Valve?
Car runs fine with no code.

What's the purpose of that damaged connector and where to find the replacement part?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

I believe that VSV controls the adjustable intake manifold runners. Looks to me like mouse or rat may have chewed it while making a nest.. the corrugated conduit further down the wire doesn't usually have a hole in it, and there is supposed to be a chunk of foam rubber in that area to dampen intake noise.

Should be a pretty easy fix for a shop if you aren't familiar with electrical work. If you want to tackle it yourself it looks like the connector is ok, and you can get repair terminals and wire from toyota. If you want to do that let me know and I can try to dig up some part numbers.

I'm surprised you don't get a code, but weirder stuff happens I guess.

I believe that VSV controls the adjustable intake manifold runners. Looks to me like mouse or rat may have chewed it while making a nest.. the corrugated conduit further down the wire doesn't usually have a hole in it, and there is supposed to be a chunk of foam rubber in that area to dampen intake noise.

Should be a pretty easy fix for a shop if you aren't familiar with electrical work. If you want to tackle it yourself it looks like the connector is ok, and you can get repair terminals and wire from toyota. If you want to do that let me know and I can try to dig up some part numbers.

I'm surprised you don't get a code, but weirder stuff happens I guess.
Thank you so much for your expert advice!
I think I will have to take it to a shop for now...

P.S. excellent observation on missing foam! Looks like my last shop forgot to put it back.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your expert advice!
I think I will have to take it to a shop for now...

P.S. excellent observation on missing foam! Looks like my last shop forgot to put it back.

I did dig up that wire repair number if you want to have a couple for the shop.. should help ensure they do the job the right way and don't try to salvage what's left of the wire stubs in the terminal

2x 82998-12440

Wire will be thicker gauge than what's on there but should work just fine. Includes the metal terminal and rubber gasket.

The foam is 12601-38020 and fits on easily. Just have to unscrew one of those VSVs if I remember correctly.

I did dig up that wire repair number if you want to have a couple for the shop.. should help ensure they do the job the right way and don't try to salvage what's left of the wire stubs in the terminal

2x 82998-12440

Wire will be thicker gauge than what's on there but should work just fine. Includes the metal terminal and rubber gasket.

The foam is 12601-38020 and fits on easily. Just have to unscrew one of those VSVs if I remember correctly.
WOW! most excellent... I don't know what to say... thank you so much for taking your time to help other members like me.
I hope one day I could do the same for new members.
Thank you sir! :clap:

Look around carefully for other evidence of mice. Especially under the intake at the back of the engine. They like to nest in there. You can see fairly far back under the intake using the gap at the left front.

Look around carefully for other evidence of mice. Especially under the intake at the back of the engine. They like to nest in there. You can see fairly far back under the intake using the gap at the left front.
Thanks for the suggestion... that sounds scary :(
I will have to examine more and see any other damage to the harnesses.

WOW! most excellent... I don't know what to say... thank you so much for taking your time to help other members like me.
I hope one day I could do the same for new members.
Thank you sir! :clap:
You’re welcome. Hang around long enough and you’ll learn a lot, trust me.

Sandroad is totally right about looking for more damage. The foam blocks under the front and back of the manifold stop some critters but more than enough make it through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom